Author Topic: Rowland Lumley  (Read 4497 times)

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rowland Lumley
« on: Friday 01 May 15 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hi!
    Can anyone help with the following?

I have a Rowland Lumley who I believe died in 1696 and was buried at Lanchester? Rowland may have married a lady called Anne and had two children what I know of:

Hannah Lumley bapt 1684 Lanchester

Francis Lumley bapt 1687 Lanchester

I have done a lot of research with little results for Rowland, however have recently discovered a couple of family trees on Ancestry which state his parents are a Richard Lumley born 1620 Ryton, and his wife Grace Dodd born 1622 Ryton?

I believe that Richard Lumley and Grace Dodd did have a Thomas 1648, Margaret 1650 and John 1654 born at Ryton Woodside but I cannot find any connection to Rowland?

There are only two other Rowland Lumleys I can find at Lanchester:

A Rowland Lumley was born circa 1717 and buried 1807 at Lanchester (could be a grandson of Rowland?). He married Ann Rippon in 1738 at Lanchester.

The other Rowland Lumley was born circa 1745 at Tanfield and married a Sarah Gladders (born 1755 Tanfield) in 1785 at Lanchester.

There are two references to a Rowland Lumley and George Rippon (brother in law?) from the Earl of Strathmores estate:

12th February 1763 - receipt for £505 12s 6d to Rowland Lumley and George Rippon, Yeoman paid by the Earl of Strathmore.

15th and 16th May 1767 Rowland Lumley of Stanley, Yeoman for lease of property paid £600 to Mary Eleanor Bowes, Countess of Strathmore.

Any help with any of the above very much appreciated! :)

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: Rowland Lumley
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 May 15 18:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Source: Northumberland & Durham Family History Society
14/08/1696, Rowland LUMLEY bur at St Mary Magdalene, Medomsley.
02/01/1807, Rowland LUMLEY bur at St Margaret of Antioch, Tanfield, aged 90.
11/12/1823, Rowland LUMLEY bur at St Mary & St Cuthbert, Chester le Street, aged 35.
Hope that helps?
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline JAC100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 February 19 11:48 GMT (UK) »
I have similar connections to the Lumleys from Ovingham / Ryton, in Durham.

Richard Lumley b 1620 (Ryton) was my wife's father's great x 7 grandfather. He was married to "Gracie" Dodd in Ryton on the 11th May 1647.

In following this line back, I end up with George Lumley (b 1550) who married Anne Blakiston (who inherited the Gibside Estate (Durham)) and the Blakiston line ends with Hugo b circa 1288.

If you need any more information ... do reply.

John

Offline AnnetteMW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 December 20 15:59 GMT (UK) »
John. I have also made the link from Richard Lumley born 1620 and the Lumleys of Lumley Castle but I am struggling to find Richard's actual birth. Everything else seems to fit and the link back to Edward IV via Thomas Lumerly and Elizabeth Plantagenet is very exciting! Just wondering if you have found that vital piece of info?

Offline AnnetteMW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 January 21 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Alex. I have been extensively researching the Lumleys in connection with Ryton and can find no trace of a Rowland at that time point. I suspect it may be another line of the family. Having said that there are clearly gaps in the records and I have just found that Richard had a first wife Elizabeth who and then he married Grace Dodd. I think it was Elizabeth Dodd who married a Richard in 1642. The man's surname is missing but an Elizabeth Lumley died and shows described as the wife of Richard.

Offline dmorgan64

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 14:24 BST (UK) »
Regarding your posts JAC100 and AnetteMW, I too am interested in the Lumley family and have only gone as far back as Richard Lumley born in 1620.
Your posts suggest you have managed to go much further back that this,
Can you point me in the right direction please as to what sources you got your information from.
It would be a great help thanks.