Author Topic: Looking for POW photographs  (Read 5472 times)

Offline David Layne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for POW photographs
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 May 15 20:33 BST (UK) »
Ruskie, thanks for your kind words.  I'm not sure about his dream house but he did live a long and happy life.

Diana I note you have two posts, three are needed to have the privilege of using the "Private Message" feature.

Today thanks to Chris Goss I was able to add a picture of Eric Shore.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 May 15 02:26 BST (UK) »
Glad you are making progress David.

I would have been keen to try tracing the men my father in law mentioned in the diaries he wrote during his service in WW2, but sadly, he continually uses nicknames for most of them, as I think was popular at the time. Still, mine is an interesting project too, which I need to make an effort to get back to. I was very disappointed when I discovered that he had removed a lot of pages from one of them - I think due to the personal nature of the contents, though personal thoughts and events are retained elsewhere in the diaries.

It's vital to retain these historical documents, and I think the more personal the more interesting they are.

Best of luck finding pictures of the rest of the men.  :)

Offline David Layne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 May 15 10:33 BST (UK) »
I have now added more of Walter Petch thanks to his daughter Diana.

Offline David Layne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 May 15 20:04 BST (UK) »
Jack Smith added.

Petch, Walter. (Wally) Sgt. 77 Squadron Whitley Z6642 Two photos added and a group photo of Petch and others in Stalag 9C Muhlhausen.

Offline Churchie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Bessie Williams 1894-1978
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 May 15 05:29 BST (UK) »
Congratulations on a marvellous piece of work.
It has inspired me to get moving on recording my father's life and wartime experiences in a similar fashion.
His brother (my uncle) was in Stalag 357 - maybe he had contact with your father, though there is no mention of him in the diaries.

All the best for your continued research,

Caroline.
Church, Ciaccia, Mann, Butfoy, Boutefoy, Hulbert, Allar, Furneaux, Tylee, Carruthers - London.
Close, Davies, Thomas, Isaac, Williams - Carmarthenshire, Glamorganshire, Monmouthshire.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 May 15 08:01 BST (UK) »
I can see an small obituary about  'Eric Hudson Lithgow Shore' MBE
http://www.dsgc.co.uk/about-us/club-history/46-club-news-2000s

This must be a photograph of him
http://www.dsgc.co.uk/gallery/vintage-photos

Very interesting, totally involved in flying

Perhaps if you ask the club, they will still know his family

*Oops I see you have some war time pictures of him already.
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline David Layne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 23 May 15 11:38 BST (UK) »
Updating this.  I now have photographs of 36 of the named POW's.

I need help with the following individuals.

Charlton, J. Allen R.A.F. 9 Dick Road, Kilmarnock.  159 Squadron Liberator AL534.   Took off from St Jean, Palestine 23 July 1942 to attack harbor & shipping at Benghazi, Libya. Two killed, 5 POWs. Among the captured was the pilot, F/O R.A. Malcolm.  The remains of R/100329 F/Sgt James Sherman Peterson RCAF are buried in Benghazi War Cemetery, Libya, while 751642 F/Sgt John Henry Hogg was never found. (page 25)
Collins, Laurie W. R.A.F.  “Sackville House.” 4 Littlefields Lane, Grimsby, Lincs.  A/G 57 Squadron Wellington R1369 operation to Kiel shot down and crashed in the sea near the Frisians  July 25th 1941 (page 23)   Shot down by Helmut Lent this was Lent’s 19th victory out of a total of 111 confirmed kills.
Griffith, Peter Hamer. Woodholme, Bishopswood Road, Prestatyn, Wales.  Rifleman  6896171.  Captured Crete 1st June 1941.  Member of 1st. Battalion “The Rangers” Kings Royal Rifle Corps.
Hanrahan, Charles James. R.A.F. 5 Norbreck Close, Cinder Hill, Notts. Sgt. F/E 97 Squadron Lancaster ED816 shot down 12/13 June 1943 on an operation to Bochum.   Shot down by Oblt Werner Husemann from Stab NJG1 , his 4th victory (page 86)
Hobsbawn, Geoffrey Ronald David Berkwood.  R.A.F. Santiago, Chile.  Sgt. 102 Squadron Halifax W7652 shot down by flak 16 June 1942 on an operation to Essen.  (page 81)       http://www.legacy.co...x?pid=123960394
Howes, Johnny. R.A.F. Peacehaven, Sussex.  Sgt. 57 Squadron Wellington Z8985 lost 7/8 November 1941 on a “Rover Patrol” in the Munster area.
Hyden, Philip.  R.A.F. F/O  78 Squadron Halifax DT775 lost on an operation to Frankfurt,  shot down by ME110 night fighter piloted by Feldwebel Karl Gross of 8/NJG4, 10/11 April 1943.  This was Gross’s only shoot down.
Jackson, Reginald J. R.A.F.  20 Maytree Crescent, Watford, Herts.  Sgt. F/E 156 Squadron Lancaster W4943 on operations to Essen 27/28 May 1943.  Shot down by Maj Werner Streib.  Streib’s 49th shootdown from a total of 64.
Littlewood, Leonard J.  R.A.F. 43 Rothschild St., West Norwood, London. SE 27  Sgt. 487 Squadron Ventura AE731 EG-O shot down by Hauptman Wickop and crashed near Haarlem when participating in “Ramrod 16” attacking a power station near Amsterdam 3 May 1943.  This was a disastrous raid, of the 12 aircraft dispatched all were lost with the exception of one aircraft that returned soon after take off due to mechanical difficulties.   
McDonald, Ian Alexander R.A.F. 24 Brookland Rise, London, NW.11  Sgt. A/G 50 Squadron Hampden AE 318 shot down 7/8 September 1941 on operations to Kiel.   Ian McDonald was posted to 50 Squadron from 14 OTU (Operational Training Unit) on 17th August 1941.  He flew three operations, 25th August 1941 to Mannheim, 2nd September to Berlin and the one he was shot down on, 7th September to Kiel.  His aircraft was Hampden AE318 and was crewed by Sergeants D. Good (Pilot) D.F. Endsor (Bomb Aimer) R. Williamson (Wireless Operator)  I.A. McDonald (Rear Gunner) the aircraft crashed near Oldenburg, Holstein.  All of the crew became P.O.W.’s   (page 39)
McKeown, William Trevor R.N.Z.A.F. 48 St. Helliers St. Linwood N.Z. F/Lt.  239 Squadron Mustang shot down during  Dieppe raid 19 August 1942 and  crash landed at Dieppe, suffering a blow to the head. In August 1943 he lost his right eye as a result of this injury.
Meyrick, David. R.A.F. 38 Coronation Rd. Gilfach Goch, Glamorgan.  AC1 150 Squadron Battle L5540, shot down attacking enemy columns in Luxembourg and  crash landed in the target area  near Bonnevoie, 10 May 1940.
Prentice, Donald F. S.A.A.F. 124 Caledon St. Uiterhage, Cape Province. S.A. Lt. Pilot of 112 Squadron Mustang III HB 908 GA W. Shot down by flak 30 October 1944 aircraft crashed in Gulf Of Venice near San Vito.  (page 24)
Pryde, James.   49 Dean Street, Newtongrange R.A.F. Sgt.  9 Squadron Wellington W5729.  Lost on operations to Cologne 10/11 July 1941,  He was captured somewhere between Calais and St Omer on 11th July 1941.  (page 90)
Reade, Frank S. R.A.F. 45 Mansfield Rd. Guilford, Surrey. F/O 199 Squadron Wellington HF488 shot down by night fighter piloted  by Oblt Echkhardt-Wilhelm von Bonin from 6./NJG1 on operations to Dusseldorf, 25 May 1943. (page 24)
Ringham, Frederick Leonard. 123 Barden Rd. Tonbridge, Kent.  131829 Sgt. W/O 102 Squadron Halifax W7652 lost 16 June 1942 on operations to Essen.  (page 58, 81)
Sadezky, Lawrence William. Aldenham, Elstree, Herts.  Sgt. A/G 83 Squadron Hampden AE319.  Shot down 6 September 1941 mine laying Oslo harbour.  (page 25)  Emigrated to Australia and was killed in a road accident August 16th 1951.
Seedhouse, John. c/o Morton, Skillington, nr. Grantham.  F/S  Flight Engineer 106 Squadron Lancaster W4842 crashed Leiden Holland with all crew becoming  P.O.W.’s. 27/28 May 1943 operations to Essen.  (page 87)
http://www.bomber-co...aylormemoir.htm

Offline davecook51

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 10 August 15 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Mr. David Layne. My name is David Cook and I stumbled on your post while looking up details of my Uncle Andrew, the pilot of Wellington Z8985 when it was lost over Holland on a Rover mission to Munster 8th November 8th 1941. My Uncle Andrew Cook (Andrew Harry Theodore Cook) was not one of the survivors, but I was wondering if you had any luck tracking down information on Johnny Howse who was in the same crew. I was lucky enough to meet an aviation historian some years ago in the UK who said no battle damage was found on the aircraft when it went down and was hoping to contact some of the family of survivors to see if any family anecdotes were available to verify the cause of the loss. Apparently the weather that night was filthy with unforecast cloud up to 19-20,000 feet, an altitude a loaded Wellington could not reach, so the suspicion is it crashed due to icing. I am in New Zealand now, but expect to be in England as of the 9th of September. I hope you have been successful with your search or soon will be. Regards, David Cook

Offline David Layne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 10 August 15 11:53 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately Johnny Howes is one of "my" POW's that I am having trouble tracking down.