Author Topic: Andrew Lun  (Read 3542 times)

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Andrew Lun
« on: Saturday 02 May 15 16:06 BST (UK) »
Hi!
    I wonder if anyone can help with the following?

I have an Andrew Lun marrying Mary Ann Stabler in 1833 at Bishop Auckland, Durham. The transcription is really bad and Andrew is down as Ad Lum or Lam (Widower) and Mary is down as Stabley (should be Stabler).

Andrews surname is also often spelt in different ways - Lun, Lunn, Lum etc.

Andrew and Mary had five children what I know of, all born in County Durham: (Mary) Ann 1838, Mary 1840, Rebecca 1843, William 1847 and Francis 1854.

On the 1841 Census the family are living at Coundon, County Durham - Andrew looks as though he is down as Adam, aged 30 not born in county, Mary aged 30, not born in county, Ann aged 13 (should be 3), born in county and Mary aged 1, born in county.

By 1851 they have moved to Whickham in County Durham and Andrew gives his age as 39 and states place of birth as Lambeth, Surrey?

In 1861 he states place of birth as Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, and in 1871 states place of birth as Huddersfield, Yorkshire.

Also on the birth certificates of his children on one of them his name is shortened to Ad Lun. I spoke to the registrar about this and she had never heard of it being done before?

If anyone can help with any of the above, especially Andrews parentage or correct place of birth I would be very grateful!

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Lun
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 May 15 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Alex,

Could this be your man  ???

Death
1879 Lunn Andrew 59 Hartlepool 10a 76

Hartlepool was historically part of County Durham

The death cert. may contain his father's name & occupation if the informant knew those details & of course his own occupation.

I am a Lun/Lunn descendant but none of the names you have are in my tree (yet) !!! ;D

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 May 15 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie!
             Many thanks for replying. I obtained the death certificate you mentioned a few years ago but it was a bit confusing as it gives his birth around 1820 (59 on death certificate from what I can remember) which means if it is him and he married Mary Ann Stabler in 1833 he would have been only 13?!

Think I might be on a dead end with this fellow but many thanks for replying to my post and if I can help with your Lun/Lunn research just let me know. :)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 May 15 15:24 BST (UK) »
Did the cert. not say "married to" or "widower of" with Mary Ann's name ???

If there was an age difference between them then the chances are they chopped a few yrs off & also it's doubtful whoever registered his death (obviously not Mary Ann) probably had a wild guess with his age as the process of registering the death was what was more important & no way of checking ages like today.

Annie ???

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 May 15 09:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie,
             Many thanks for replying. The death certificate for Andrew Lunn reads as follows:

Died 1st December 1879, Florence Street, Seaton Carew, aged 59 years, General Labourer, died of softening of the brain. Present at death was J Palmer who also lived in Florence Street. Date of death registered 3rd December 1879.

Doesn't look as though any family registered his death as I cant find any J Palmer linked to the Lunns! As you say though his age could well be wrong if the person didn't know him that well. Also I don't know if Andrew and his wife Mary may have been estranged during there marriage as on the 1861 census she is living with a family in Hull.

The Lunns did have a link to Hartlepool though somehow, and also Hull. I think one of Andrews daughters had an illegitimate son Andrew Lunn born 1864 at Sculcoates, Hull, died 1865 Hull.

Andrews son William also had a son Andrew Lunn born 1879 Hartlepool (the same time as grandfathers death?) but he died in 1880 at Hull.

Thanks for all your help and will keep looking! :)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 May 15 18:41 BST (UK) »
death certificate for Andrew Lunn reads as follows:
Died 1879 Seaton Carew, aged 59 years, General Labourer, Present at death was J Palmer, Florence Street.

I cant find any J Palmer linked to the Lunns!  Mary on the 1861 census is living with a family in Hull.

What was Andrew's occupation on his marriage, kids birth certs. & census records............. was it General Labourer too ???

Strange coincidence as I have a Frances Kemp Lunn who married John Palmer 1874 in Newastle-upon-Tyne although a bit of a distance from your Lunns  ;D

Annie