Author Topic: Derby Cantrills  (Read 6688 times)

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Derby Cantrills
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 June 15 18:38 BST (UK) »
Gary

.... but I'll send you a pm

I don't think he'll be able to reply - well, not until he's made three posts anyway.

Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 05 June 15 16:56 BST (UK) »
Hi

Don't worry.

Just the usual rules.

Gary if you reply to anything I've put on here, pm's will soon work.  We'll sort it out.Best wishes

Emms  :)
Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas

Offline GaryBrianKent

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 06 June 15 04:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Emms

I have found out quite a lot about Gurney. I have tagged many newspaper articles referring him in Trove's Australian newspapers on line under Gurney Eugene Patmore.  I found several letters written by him about his circumstances in the archives of the Royal Literary Fund, which you have probably already seen.  I have also found brief references to him in books about and containing correspondence by the pre-Raphaelites.  I would love dates and places of his birth and that of his children and wife, although I have newspaper references for most of these, just want to make sure it is complete. Have also looked at the standard books on his brother Coventry. I have a copy of the catalogue of his book sale. Anything with particular reference to his book collecting would be of interest and his time at the Melbourne Age, as well as his meetings with writers eg Edward Lear. Let me know if I can help you any way.

It is freezing here in Canberra, minus seven celsius earlier this week, but not so bad today.

Regards

Gary

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 06 June 15 17:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Gary

Great to hear back from you.

You sound to have done a lot.

Yes, we were told he was Eugene Gurney at birth though he seemed to keep to Gurney later. I've quite a lot on family dates which I'll let you have .  I need to get it together though.  Not much on the library except the list you have.  Basically the only way the boys had tpo make money was writing and books so he had a good collection and also some good contacts to obtain them helped by his brother Coventry.  Of course books were valuable then and whenther fami8ly went home he was ill, so they would need the money.  They did return home with five healthy children thoough and had another daughter on return.

I'll look out my styuff and get back later.

I'm not at my own computer at the moment.

Best wishes

Emms :)

Offline asterix57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 12 February 16 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I've just picked up this thread after typing in Henry Cantrill.

First, I am delighted to see Gary's post which confirms a hunch I have long had that Coventry Patmore might be Gurney's brother (they both just seemed unusual first names which sort of went together).

Emms, you mention in your earlier post the double wedding of Sarah and her sister Caroline. I didn't know they were married on the same day in, I think, 1859. Caroline's husband was indeed Thomas Cox, a wine merchant of Derby. They lived at 93 Friar Gate, which is still there, and looks large enough for their family of 11 (surviving) children. Their daughter Mary Louisa was my greatgrandmother, and I am also in touch with several descendants of her sister Frances ("Fanny") in places as diverse as Cape Town, Montreal and Detroit. I can fill you in a bit with the Cantrills - but not very far, as I can't get back beyond Henry's baptism in Derby in 1807. If you are interested in the ancestors of Sarah and Caroline, however, that is a whole different story...

best wishes

Charles

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 12 February 16 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Charles
Great to hear from you and to have a Cantrill reply after all this time!

Yes, Coventry was my gg grandfather Gurney's brother.  I've known this from a very small child staying with my grandma and aunts.  My Mum and aunt and grandma knew their father / grandfather  Gurney's son born in Australia until he was quite elderly.  There was so much info about Coventry but little about Gurney.  He was "Coventry's brother " so I wanted to turn it the other way round!

I think I may have!

I'd love to hear any more about the Cantrill side if you have time.  I don't know if I can help ypou out any, but you're more than welcome if I can.  I do have both the marriage certificates for that wedding and quite a few newspaper entries from the Derby Mercury of which Gurney was editor before going to Australia.

I'll look back later when I have more time.
Thank you for getting in touch.

Best wishes

Emms :)

Offline asterix57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 12 February 16 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Emms,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

The problem with the Cantrillls is that although I know Henry's parents were called Henry and Mary, the only marriage I can find which might fit took place in Manchester - and the family in question seems to have stayed in Manchester, i.e. rather than moved to Derby. So no progress there.

However, as for Henry's wife Elizabeth Sale (1805-1893): I don't know if you know much about the Sales, but if you don't, how much time do you have, and how far back would you like to go?!

I'm not quite sure where to begin: it might almost be easier to Skype, if you're on Skype?

Where are you in Australia?

Charles

As

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 14 February 16 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Charles

Thank you for the reply.  I'd love to hear about the Sales or any of them!  Unfortunately I'm not on Skype and I'm not in  Australia either.  I'm in the UK.  I cam send you a direct email address via personal message for attachments.

I found the marriage certificate for Caroline Cantrill but not Gurney and Sarah's yet. though I have it.  I think I had a marriage for Henry her father in a local town, possibly Matlock, possibly referred to also in a census.  I'll see what I come across.

I found a lot of marriage entries from newspapers too.

Where are you? Aare you in Australia?  Gurney and Sarah came back after nine years.  My ggrandfather and all except one of his siblings having been born over there.  He died in Salford, Lancashire, and we think there were probably earlier links to the Manchester area, though I'm pretty sure the marriage I found was Derbyshire but not Derby.

Thank you for telling me about the house.  I've never been to Derby and I'm tring to pit together pictures and information.

I'll have another look.

Best wishes

Emms

Offline asterix57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 14 February 16 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Emms,

I see, I got the wrong end of the stick. I live in England, but am currently working abroad. However, if (in order to preserve privacy) you text me your e-mail address on 07710 376555 I can send you a summary of the Sale family tree, going back to Rev Richard Sale (1545-1625). The line goes back a lot further than that, but it gets a bit vague in the Middle Ages, i.e. isn't exactly unbroken. However, some of the families the Sales married into go back a lot further.

best regards

Charles