Author Topic: Cousins  (Read 2742 times)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Re: Cousins
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 May 15 23:27 BST (UK) »
Me too!  A little chart makes it easier.  Works like a mileage calculator - same principal - common destination from two different points!  So this works with common ancestor from two different families! I printed one off and laminated it!  Easy peasy now! 

Jeanne 😄

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 May 15 17:01 BST (UK) »
Alternatively use Legacy for your family tree, then you can calculate any relationship you like.

Online ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 May 15 17:30 BST (UK) »
Also, if you have your tree on "Ancestry", it'll almost do it for you; there's a button that says "show relationship to me" or something similar
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 May 15 23:56 BST (UK) »
Also, if you have your tree on "Ancestry", it'll almost do it for you; there's a button that says "show relationship to me" or something similar

With Legacy you can show the relationship between any 2 people on your tree, not just the relationship to yourself.

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 00:31 BST (UK) »

Hi ThrelfallYorky ,
Where's that button? When looking at other peoples trees on Ancestry, I always have difficulty ( especially when there are lots of names in their tree) of trying to find a relationship, a link (with the individual that I'm looking at in their tree) to the home person in their tree.

Some of the trees have thousands upon thousands of names in them, so when I come across , say my g grandmother, in one of these trees - I have real difficulty establishing how (or where) my G grandmother is related to the home person.
Can you ( or some other kind person) take a screenshot of the page  where the button is located, and post it on here? I'm going around and around in circles trying to find it.

Kind Regards :)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 00:44 BST (UK) »
It's underneath their name. I'm not sure if it works though on trees where you dont have editor rights.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 01:02 BST (UK) »
Hi thanks Groom,
 I still can't find it though.
This below is a person off a public tree, I can't see anything on this page that there is a relationship button to the home person, or is only an option on your own tree if you've put yourself as the home person?

Kind Regards:)

edited to add

Ps I think I've found it, yes it does look as if it is only there on your own tree and only if you have yourself as the home person -( my little boy has a small private tree that he did for a homework assignment showing himself, his grandparents and great grandparents ) and it's showing on his ,  but it's not showing on his other little tree  that he didn't put himself as the home person:). That reminds me , I must delete his trees.

Pity there seems to be no button on the public trees, I'd love to know the link to the home person of some of my ancestors that I come across in the trees ( far too many names in some of the trees to go through all the lines looking for the link)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u