Author Topic: James Welsh & Annie Semple Harrison  (Read 2607 times)

Offline killiekithnkin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Welsh & Annie Semple Harrison
« on: Sunday 03 May 15 20:31 BST (UK) »
My grandmother's brother, James Welsh b1885 married Annie Semple Harrison b1886 in Glasgow in 1908. James died in Harrow, Middlesex in 1973 and Annie in Brent, Greater London in 1976. It is unclear when they moved south, and if they had any offspring. Up to mid 1915 it is not believed they had any children. In 1932, James was living in Glasgow as he was the informant of his brother's death.

Any help appreciated!

David
McMillan Kilmarnock then Glasgow (possibly earlier Mullen)
Johnston Kilmarnock
Wallace Tyrie Paton Kilmarnock
Wilson Stranraer
Bennett London Brighton Glasgow
Welsh Ayrshire Ardrossan Saltcoats West Kilbride
Boyce, Co Down, Girvan, Ardrossan, Saltcoats
Fleck West Kilbride, Stevenson, Ardrossan, Saltcoats
Sellwood, Gloucestershire, then London
Shortland, Gloucestershire area, later London
Hook, Gloucestershire, then London
Coulter, Girvan then Glasgow
Kirkland, Coylton, St Quivox Kirkmichael

Offline Don Bartlett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: James Welsh & Annie Semple Harrison
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 April 17 20:01 BST (UK) »
Just read your post. My name is Don Bartlett and I reside on Prince Edward Island, Canada. I am trying to find any descendants of Anne Welsh of West Kilbride, Ayrshire. She was the daughter of a James Welsh who at one time may have lived at Headrigg Rd., West Kilbride. Ann was probably born sometime between 1917 and 1920 and has probably passed away by now. Ann may have lived at number 1 Blackshaw Drive, West Kilbride and may have married a Mr. Powell. I would like to know if Ann had any children. Please reply to my personal email    * Thank you and best regards, Don

*Moderator comment:personal e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid others spamming or otherwise abusing it.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members need to make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline killiekithnkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 April 17 13:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Don

Thanks for the message.  I’m afraid your email address was removed so I need to respond to you this way.

Are you able to tell me more about Anne’s father James Welsh? A possible candidate among my Welsh side is a James Welsh who was born 18th July 1897 at Yonderfield, West Kilbride. He was the son of William Welsh and Jane McKinnie. It looks like my James Welsh married a Helen Skilling in British Columbia on 27th Dec 1923. James died 16th April 1941 in Kilmarnock. A Helen Carolina “Walsh” died aged 78 in Kilmarnock in 1977. I cannot confirm if James Welsh and Helen Skilling had any children.

An Anne Mitchell G Welsh or Angus married a Lancelot Powell in 1963 in West Kilbride. Anne Mitchell G Powell died there in 1992, aged 64, hence born c 1928. Lancelot Powell died aged 67 in 1982 in West Kilbride, so born c 1915. Again I cannot confirm if any offspring.

I hope this information helps you Don. If you have anything more on Anne or James Welsh I’m happy to probe further.

All the best, David
Johnston Kilmarnock
Wilson Stranraer

Offline Don Bartlett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 April 17 14:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks for getting back to me. My Father was in the Canadian Army and trained in the Highlands of Scotland before landing in France on D Day, June 6th, 1944. When on leave in Scotland he would stay with a Welsh family. The daughter of this family was named Anne. I recently found a small address book which belonged to my Father and in it I found the name James Welsh with the address Headrigg Rd., West Kilbride, Ayrshire. Also included were two small pictures of Anne with an address as number 1 Blackshaw Drive, West Kilbride. From the the inscriptions written on the back of the photos, it would appear my Father & Anne were romantically involved. It is possible I may have a half brother or sister in Scotland, thus the reason for my search. I'm not sure but Anne may have married a Mr. Powell. It is also possible that James may have been a Pharmacist. If there is some way we could exchange email addresses I could send you the two photos. Don

Offline killiekithnkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 April 17 15:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Don I have sent you a PM.

David
Johnston Kilmarnock
Wilson Stranraer

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 April 17 16:03 BST (UK) »
What was James' occupation? What was his address in 1901 census & at time of marriage to Annie?  Do you know the address at which he was living when he died? I cannot find him in England in the free index of the 1939 register on Findmypast?

Death reg gives dob as 16 Dec 1885 though this is only as good as the informant's knowledge.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Don Bartlett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 April 17 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hi David. I'm really not very good using this system. What is a PM and how do I access it? Do you live in Scotland? If so perhaps you could let me know your last name - the name of the phone book in which you are listed and the page number where I can find your name and I will arrange with you to call you by phone. The only information I have on James Welsh's occupation is only a guess but it could be druggest (pharmacist) The birth date of around 1885/86 would seem to fit. Thanks for all your help in this. Don

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 April 17 19:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Don,

The pm [personal message] system is to send & receive messages off forum [so you can exchange email addresses & such like which are not allowed on posts so as to avoid spam]. You can also use it to inform of names of living people, another no-no.

The personal message system is open to you now you have made 3 posts, so you should receive notification when there is a pm for you. Along the top of the screen, under the RootsChat banner you will see a brown bar - the 6th option across is 'My Messages' and you can click it when there is a message for you. Once you have David's email address, though, you can exchange email in the normal way.

If you want to send a pm to David containing your email address, click on the text icon under  his name on one of his posts, alternatively click on h is name & one option with be 'Send PM'.

Good luck....

Josey
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Don Bartlett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 April 17 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Josey: I don't know how you got into this conversation but thanks very much for your help. I clicked on "my messages" and sure enough David's email popped up in one of the massages. Again thanks - form a senior citizen who is not very computer wise. Don