Author Topic: Edmund Hilder Wadhurst  (Read 3733 times)

Offline INFOMXH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edmund Hilder Wadhurst
« on: Sunday 03 May 15 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm trying to trace the parents of Edmund Hilder b ~1795 in Wadhurst and one time publican of the Labour Of Vain pub in Burwash. I believe Father is called Thomas but have no more info than that.

It would be great if someone would be able to identify them for me. I'd be eternally grateful!

Regards,

Matt Hilder

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edmund Hilder Wadhurst
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 May 15 22:16 BST (UK) »
Baptism
Wadhurst Sussex
30 Jan 1796
Edmund Hilder
parents Thomas & Mary

there is a tree on A******y which has Edmund's parents as Thomas Hilder 1770-1811 (there is a burial in Sussex 6 Mar 1811) and Mary Kemp 1771-1828

may be worth checking out

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 May 15 22:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt  :)

Thomas Hilder and Mary Kemp married at All Saints Church, Mountfield on 2nd September 1791.

I also found this previous thread on Rootschat which may interest you
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=481065.0
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline INFOMXH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 May 15 23:13 BST (UK) »
Great! Thanks!!

Does anyone know of any census records that tie the families together?

Cheers,
Matt

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 May 15 07:08 BST (UK) »
The first uk census was 1841. If you want to tie in some of the people on the other thread I linked then they were probably deceased by 1841.

Although that thread was started in 2010 you can still post on it and the people will get an email to say there is a reply on that thread. Maybe they will have more information to share with you.

Good luck  :)
Best wishes HL

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 May 15 11:41 BST (UK) »
Couple of titbits about Edmund Hilder from Victorian Village.

"Labour in Vain" was a beershop opened by Edmund Hilder, it had a sign of a "blackamoor in a tub with a white man trying to scrub the black off". The sign was suggested by a travelling cloth merchant who had seen the sign in the "Sheeres".  Edmund Hilder gave up this information to  Rev Coker-Egerton when he was about 81 on 22nd May 1876. Edmund had given up being a proprietor of the shop by 1847 and became a field labourer. The beer shop became a fully-licensed inn known as the Railway Tavern by 1876.
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 May 15 12:25 BST (UK) »
You can find details of his burial on the 25th January 1880 here.
http://www.achurchnearyou.com/documents/2009-10-24_4517_1256393526.xls

Coker-Egerton performed the burial but wasn't over happy as the family ...

Kept me waiting owing to a family discussion whether ye old gentlemen shd. Be shifted from ye parish coffin into ye better one prepared by Tom Brook.It was at last ruled that he shd be left undisturbed.
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 May 15 12:40 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D. I love that swebby  ;D ;D ;D

Great to find that kind of extra info Matt
Best wishes HL

Offline Sussex Belle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 February 17 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Just seen your message about Edmund Hilder of Wadhurst. He was baptised 30 January 1796 at Wadhurst, parents Thomas and Mary Hilder. Mary was the first "wife" of Thomas but I have not yet found the marriage. They had three children - John baptised 1794, Edmund and Thomas baptised 1797, all in Wadhurst. Mary dies in 1797 and Thomas marries Catherine Bowles by licence dated 15 April 1802, the marriage taking place 20th April at Wadhurst. They had two children - Henry baptised 1803 and William baptised 1807. Catherine dies in 1809 and Thomas marries for the third time to Sarah Day widow, 20 June 1810.They do not have children. Thomas dies in 1817, leaving a will which mentions all his children including Edmund. The family lived and farmed at Great Shoesmiths at Wadhurst, a picture of which can be found in "Sussex Views" by Walter H Godfrey and L F Salzman, and published by Sussex Record Society.

The Thomas who married Mary Kemp was the son of Thomas Hilder and Hannah Miller of  Mountfield and baptised there 9th Feb 1769. He and Mary had eight children baptised at Mountfield between 1792 and 1809, none of whom was an Edmund. The two families do share a common ancestor - Edward Hilder, of Dallington who married to Ann Neave in 1694 at Ashburnham. Hope this helps, let me know if you need more information.