Author Topic: Mary Ann Guthrie ancestors  (Read 9833 times)

Offline shereif

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Guthrie ancestors
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 February 19 04:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I am a direct ascendant from Australia of James Maxwell Spence 1804-1877 m 19.3.1829 in Kirkwall and St Ola, Orkney Scotland  Jane (jean) Guthrie b 1806 -1897 both buried in Creswick Victoria.  They travelled on the "Clifton" from Plymouth 10th Oct 1851 with their children to Australia.
CHILDREN:
Their Daughter Jane Spence m Charles Slade my direct relatives. MY Great x3 Grandparents
John Spence
William Guthrie Spence
James Maxwell Spence
Ann Spence
David Spence and wife Isabella Spence (nee Fraser)

They arrived 16 weeks later in Geelong, Victoria Australia 30th Jan 1852.

William Spence m Maryann Guthrie who was indeed the brother of James Maxwell Spence  Guthrie.  THEIR CHILDREN :
Mary Spence 1816-
Euphan Spence1821-
Archibald Spence 1823-
John Spence m Charlotte emigrated to Aus 1854 on board "John and Lucy" with a infant.

I have a lot of research of The Guthrie side and their is no evidence of Maryann Guthrie being related to Jane (Jean GinnY) Guthrie.

Please keep in touch as I would like to know if you have any further information on the Spence side as I have only been able to go back to John Spence 1730 m Marjory Allen?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Guthrie ancestors
« Reply #10 on: Friday 15 February 19 09:50 GMT (UK) »
I have both Guthrie/Spence in my line and I did come across a tree having James Maxwell Spence m Margaret Guthrie b 1805 daughter of David Guthrie and Margaret Williamson.  I cannot attest to its accuracy but note the author has her death in Australia in 1897

i was looking on Google doing some dabbling to find some earlier history of my family tree that starts at William Spence b.31 may 1789 Holm & Paplay Orkney Scotland and says he died 22 Apr 1862 in Grebreck Holm Orkney and was married to Mary Ann Guthrie 14 Dec 1815 kirkwall & ST Ola Orkney Scotland and says she was born circa 1794 shapinsay Orkney and says died circa 1840

I am a direct ascendant from Australia of James Maxwell Spence 1804-1877 m 19.3.1829 in Kirkwall and St Ola, Orkney Scotland  Jane (jean) Guthrie b 1806 -1897
I think that is sufficient to demonstrate that the tree Don 'came across' was wrong! Which is not to say that the tree on Google is correct either, of course.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.