Author Topic: Bostock,Callindine,Proctor,Scarratt Holt and Bath Families  (Read 6471 times)

Offline selinat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bostock,Callindine,Proctor,Scarratt Holt and Bath Families
« on: Monday 04 May 15 15:29 BST (UK) »
Help please with any of the above families and other Gypsy families connected to them.Especially looking for William Proctor father of Elizabeth Ireland nee Proctor.

Offline peggysmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Bostock,Callindine,Proctor,Scarratt Holt and Bath Families
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 May 15 18:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Selina i have replied to your message i cant tell you a huge amount about the Bostocks and Calladines, im still researching them myself, my lot where mostly based in whittington moor derbyshire. They would go back there each winter to restock on pottery from the pot factories there and then off they would travel all down the west coast of england to wales selling the wares. Would love to know a lot more about the gypsy earthenware dealers.
Tracey
waters/walters-berkshire
tanner and adby- berkshire
loveridge and parker romanies from suffolk,essex,beds,bucks and herts
gill- derbyshire
turvills-hinks,leicestershire
calladine and Bostock,pot hawkers-Derbyshire

Offline Aziliz22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 22:09 BST (UK) »
We have much information on the Bostock, Calladine and Scarratts in particular and continue to uncover still more. If you can give an idea of what you are looking for.

Offline peggysmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 23:17 BST (UK) »
Hello aziliz. still working away at our people. I havent found much more on them as yet. maybe one day i will get up to derbyshire, i hope there is information to be found. i keep looking at them but i dont find anything new. they do fascinate me though. i would like to find out more about the gypsy earthenware dealers in general as well as our own folk.
Tracey
waters/walters-berkshire
tanner and adby- berkshire
loveridge and parker romanies from suffolk,essex,beds,bucks and herts
gill- derbyshire
turvills-hinks,leicestershire
calladine and Bostock,pot hawkers-Derbyshire

Offline janeo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 May 15 21:22 BST (UK) »
My family were pot hawkers ,mostly Yorkshire and the North of England .Burnsides and Wilsons .My mam told me her grandparents Hannah Burnside and Andrew Wilson had a pot wagon they married in 1874 some idea of date .
Smith, Wilson ,Elliot ,Ratchford Burnside ,

Offline magsmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 August 16 16:34 BST (UK) »
Hi
I want to trace my son's Great grandmother. Her maiden name was Margaret Proctor. She was married to Joseph Smith. I believe both were from traveller families.

Offline selinat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 08:44 BST (UK) »
Hi

Do you have any more information about Margaret? where was she born?

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 09:11 BST (UK) »
Hi. All. My family's Mitchell. Dale. Miller's. Etc. Were all earthenware. Pot dealer's./hawkers. Going back to burslem staffs.1740s . usually seconded.saltware. but fancy china as time went by. Selling at fairs. Weekly markets. And door to door. We travelled as far as Liverpool. It had Lots of pot factories back then.so lots of seconded pottery. Olso Lancashire.and  Cumberland. Yorkshire.down south. In 1747 Jesse Mitchell Wed Sarah evens.In Liverpool. Then we seem to go everywhere. In the country. And the rest is history as they say. But I have lots of pot selling travellers in all my family's. Seems something most of us did back then. But hawking and dealing. Horse trading were olso a main. or secondary work. As ever we turn a hand to anything. we used to camp with the calladines. Many year's back. Good crack. Nice people. Lots of gypsy travellers. Were agents for the factories. Taking china s.o.r. as they could sell. But not pay for the pots. Tipping out earnings.after a few weeks And taking a cut. As they got more money they could buy outright.and travelled further. Hope It may help. A bit. Regards Rob
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline magsmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 18:21 BST (UK) »
No other information unfortunately. I have searched census records and births. Margaret and her husband Joseph Smith lived in Newport, South Wales and were no longer travellers. However, my ex-husband remembers travelling to the Gloucester area as a child and visiting his Grear grandmother who lived in a Romany caravan. Pretty sure they were fairground people. Their son will be 90 on Friday and my sons are going to see him so I will ask them to ask him if he has any more information. Is it true that many traveller children are not registered?