Author Topic: Bostock,Callindine,Proctor,Scarratt Holt and Bath Families  (Read 6444 times)

Offline selinat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bostock,Callindine,Proctor,Scarratt Holt and Bath Families
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 22:37 BST (UK) »
That"s interesting , i did try to private message you today concerning the Proctor family , i think if you are a new user you have to make so many posts before you can send or receive a private message. I maybe able to share some information with you about the family

Offline magsmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 17:58 BST (UK) »
That's brilliant. Could I put my email address on here or would it be removed?

Offline magsmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 19:54 BST (UK) »
I've just found out that Margaret's husband's name was originally "King" not "Smith" - dodgy dealings I wonder?

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 September 16 22:16 BST (UK) »
helo  i remember seeing a William Calladine in the late 1890s up before the court the same time as someone i was researching, quite a caricature he was, so i read your post and looked for the Calladines, there are lots of records of them, they to are mostly pot hawkers round Whittington moor and those places, if you would like me to say more of the things I have found, just say, it doesn't matter if you don't, that's alright.

michael

Derbyshire courier Saturday 19 February 1887

NEWBOLD. Quarrelsome Hawkers.— Saturday, at the Chesterfield County Police Court, Henry Harrison, hawker, summoned William Calladine, his brother-in-law. hawker, for assaulting him at Newbold, on the 5th inst.—He pleaded not guilty. Mr. Middleton appeared for the prosecution. He said that the complainant was bedding his horse down on the night in question, when the defendant went with him to the stable and used some very abusive language to him, and struck him in the face, knocking him down.—Prosecutor had been allowed to keep his horse in defendant’s mother’s stable. Complainant corroborated, and said he had summoned defendant previously at Bakewell for a similar offence, where he was bound over to keep the peace for six months.— Jemima Harrison, complainant's wife, also gave evidence. —Mr. Middleton asked that defendant be bound over to keep the peace for 12 months. —Defendant stated that complainant attacked with the first blow, and pulled off his coat to fight him. It was in consequence of complainant’s ill-treatment of his wife that he (defendant) interfered. —Complainant said he had only had his arm out of splinters a fortnight, having had it broken. He denied having struck him or ill-used his wife. —His wife was also called, and denied that he had ever kicked her or ill-used her.—Defendant was bound over in his own recognisances in the sum of £10 to keep the peace for 12 months, And ordered to pay the costs, the bench remarking that if he came again for a similar offence he would be sent to gaol. He had been previously convicted.

Derbyshire times and chesterfield herald Saturday 24 June 1893

Curious Procedure in Punishment

William Calladine, a member of the gipsy fraternity, had been summoned by P.c. Taylor for drunkard disorderly conduct at Monyash, on the 10th inst. —Mrs Calladine appeared.—P.c. Taylor said that at about half-past five o'clock on the date named, he found the defendant drunk and creating a disturbance on the Bakewell road. He wanted to fight. The language was very bad. and the row continued for some time. —Supt. Lytle said that defendant bad been before the court several times.—Mr William Miliington, a resident of Monyash, gave corroborative evidence. He added that there were several people about. —Mr Lytle ; there are about 30 or so of them encamped in a field, and they have no end of snap dogs. They run the country, and pay no rates and taxes.—Mr Lytle : Not for the lanes and waste grounds.— Mrs Calladine : I have two houses in Nottingham. —The Chairman: Fourteen days hard labour.— Mrs Calladine asked if there was no fine, and the Chairman appeared amused at so unreasonable a request.-Mrs Calladine then left the court, and had gone down the street when she was fetched back, and was told that in addition to the imprisonment without the option of a fine, the costs amounted to 16s. 6d., and if this was not paid, there would be a further term of imprisonment for fourteen days.

here is a Family of older Calladines ,Gervase to was a Pot Hawker, what a lovely name, I,m sure I have came across that name before, anyway I have seen a few records, if you would like me to talk more just say, and I do hope you are  keeping well.

michael

Ilkeston pioneer Thursday 24 may 1866

Highway Offences

Gervase Calladine, Stone Gravels, pot hawker, was charged by Acting-sergeant Wood house, with allowing his two horses to wander on the highway leading from the race-course Newbold, Littlemore, on the 11th inst. The defendant did not appear, but was represented by his wife. The officer proved the charge, and informed the bench that it was not the first time, by a dozen, he had caught them —Fined 2s 6d. Each and 10s 6d costs.  or seven days.

Online Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 01 September 16 22:18 BST (UK) »
That's brilliant. Could I put my email address on here or would it be removed?

No....you can use the Personal Message service to exchange details though.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline cbcarolyn

• RootsChat Member
  • Carolyn
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 14 January 19 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Just returning to my tree after many years away, and have Bostock and Proctor in my husbands tree. I have potters, earthenware dealer, hawkers and china dealers in various generations, and ended up in Cardiff marrying a Woodruff.  I have Jarvis (Gervase) in each generation.

I have Elizabeth Bostock parents from another thread on here but can't actually find a document on line that confirms it.  Marriage announcement in newspaper and banns are all available, but parents not mentioned.  I have baptism, for Elizabeth Bostock, so I assume it to be her - but maybe name is quite common.

I have a marriage a of Thomas Worth and Jane Proctor, and they use worth proctor on all the children then seemed to drop worth, so not sure if that is definitely the correct marriage.

Info on this thread is very interesting.
Lugg/Freeman/Caddy- Cornwall
Dayman/Hobbs - Devon
Brett/Clark/Hicks - Middx/Essex/London
Miles - Northampton
Woodruff/Proctor/Worth - Midlands/NE/Wales

http://www.familytree.chatandthat.co.uk/

Offline selinat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 14 January 19 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I believe we had contact a few years ago, my great grandmother is Elizabeth Proctor,daughter of William Proctor. I have Maryann Parkers death announcement card , Maryann was nee Callindine ,her mother Mary was Gervase/Jarvis Bostock sister. Also have Maryann"s daughter Elizabeths death announcement card she married Solomon Bath. Have Elizabeth Proctors marriage certificate to Richard Gordon and Joseph Worth Proctors marriage certificate to Jane Lowther.Richard Gordons Aunt was Flora Ireland nee Swales, my Great Grandad was John Ireland, very confusing ! ???

Offline magsmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 14 January 19 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi cbcarolyn

I too have most of the people you mention in your latest post. Lots of Jarvis (Gervase). Thomas Worth and Jane Proctor were my ex-husband's 4th x great-grandparents.

Margaret

Offline cbcarolyn

• RootsChat Member
  • Carolyn
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 14 January 19 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I believe we had contact a few years ago, my great grandmother is Elizabeth Proctor,daughter of William Proctor. I have Maryann Parkers death announcement card , Maryann was nee Callindine ,her mother Mary was Gervase/Jarvis Bostock sister. Also have Maryann"s daughter Elizabeths death announcement card she married Solomon Bath. Have Elizabeth Proctors marriage certificate to Richard Gordon and Joseph Worth Proctors marriage certificate to Jane Lowther.Richard Gordons Aunt was Flora Ireland nee Swales, my Great Grandad was John Ireland, very confusing ! ???
I can see we chatted on another thread, but am not sure where I got to. 

What date is Elizabeth's birth, I don't have her in my tree. Joseph Worth is Thomas Worth brother if my details are correct and it is he that is my line.  He married Elizabeth Bostock and it seems it is her line that introduced Gervase.  I assume Thomas (b1808) has more siblings than I have found, I only have Joseph.
Lugg/Freeman/Caddy- Cornwall
Dayman/Hobbs - Devon
Brett/Clark/Hicks - Middx/Essex/London
Miles - Northampton
Woodruff/Proctor/Worth - Midlands/NE/Wales

http://www.familytree.chatandthat.co.uk/