Author Topic: McCormick family, Great George's Street, Belfast  (Read 7984 times)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McCormick family, Great George's Street, Belfast
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 14:03 BST (UK) »
Looking at later directories, "McCormick J, labourer" is listed at 142 Great George's Street as late as 1910 (so much for directory accuracy). In the 1918 Directory the householder at 142 is Mary Anne McCormick.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 17:05 BST (UK) »

I am seeking information on the McCormick family of Great George's Street, Belfast. The information I have is that James McCormick married Catherine ? and I know they had two daughters - Mary Ann who I think was born about 1860 and Bridget Sophia who was born about 1864.

Just out of curiosity ab196, where did your information about James McCormick and Catherine with  daughters Mary Ann and Bridget Sophia from Great George's Street come from?  :)

Offline ab196

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 19:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Gaffy. Great George's Street was always mentioned by my family even when I was a child. My late aunt always took great pride in telling everyone she was named after Bridget Sophia, and on the 1901 census there is Bridget Sophia. At no time did anyone in the family seem to know about her being born in India. The family very often said that her mother was called Kate but they did not know her maiden name or where she was from originally - so she appears to be the Catherine on the census. They also said that so far as they knew Catherine married a man called James about whom I know very little. I asked about other children as a young girl appears on the census and I don't think the older Mary Ann has said she was married or widowed. But family stories often get muddled over the years and sadly the older folk are no longer with us to ask for further details.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 07 May 15 04:04 BST (UK) »
That's great, I was hoping it was family lore, it's always fascinating when bits and pieces of stories passed down seem to "fit" with records, certainly the 1901 census return presents a strong possibility.  :)

Offline ab196

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 05 October 15 23:29 BST (UK) »
Hi. I just wanted to give an update about the McCormick family. I checked out the details given and they were a great help. Some of the other names provided have followed through the family and are connected. I just want to again thank Gaffy and ShaunJ for their help. It was very useful. Many thanks

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 09:08 BST (UK) »
Don't think this has been posted yet?

James McCormick, son of James McCormick & Catherine Warren, born & bapt. 1860 Dublin-
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/43fed20333687
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/74724c0333686
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ab196

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 21:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for this information aghadowey. At last I am able to find a barrack to which James McCormick was attached. It is great to now know of a place where he was and read some of the history of that too.

Offline Jenny40

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 23 February 19 15:22 GMT (UK) »
This is a fantastic thread. I have just started looking into my family and this was a great source of info. My great grandmother was Mary Ann McCormick the 9 year old on the 1901 census. With Few older members still alive this has been brilliant for piecing the bits together. Thanks so much

Offline ab196

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 23 February 19 19:35 GMT (UK) »

Hi Jenny40

Lovely to hear from you. The fun with family trees is the surprise of finding out that someone else is researching the same people as yourself. I have been helped out so often by some very kind people here on RootsChat.

Glad you found the information useful. If there is any other help you might need please ask.