Author Topic: Newspaper obituaries, Cardiff - dates of death known  (Read 2086 times)

Offline 1karen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Newspaper obituaries, Cardiff - dates of death known
« on: Monday 04 May 15 20:46 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out the burial locations of the children of my great-great grandfather's brother. The family were originally from Liverpool but moved to Cardiff in the late 1880s/early 1890s. Would anyone have access to newspaper death notices which may have information about their burials?

The names are:

Harriet Lilly Hine (nee Irwin) d. 11 June 1958, Cardiff
Ellen Sophia Price (nee Irwin) d. 5 Sep 1954, Ely Hospital, Cardiff
Archibald Irwin d. 7 Sep 1964, 41 Lower Cathedral Rd, Cardiff

Thank you!

Offline Josocks

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Newspaper obituaries, Cardiff - dates of death known
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 May 15 19:43 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately the online newspapers only go up to 1919.  I checked Find My Past just in case they were part of an online parish record but other than the usual death record I couldn't find them (although there is a trade union and a school record for Archibald).  Best bet might be to check parish records at Glamorgan archives, which are searchable.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 May 15 22:34 BST (UK) »
Contact the bereavement services section of Cardiff County Council - as you know the death dates they will be able to tell you if they are buried in any of the council cemeteries - more than likely - and if anyone else is buried with them. Very helpful and friendly staff.

Tel: 029 2054 4820
email: thornhillreception AT cardiff.gov.uk (replace spaceATspace with the usual symbol!).
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline 1karen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 19:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the replies! I will contact the email address you suggested.

Offline 1karen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 May 15 14:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks to Deirdre784, I contacted the bereavement section and received the information I required. A great service!

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 May 15 22:07 BST (UK) »
Great, pleased to be able to help :)
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....