Author Topic: WILLIAM LAIDLER wed ISABELLA BROWN on 2nd February 1842 in Newcastle-upon-Tyne  (Read 3144 times)

Offline rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage certificate for:
William Laidler, cordwainer of Bishop Wearmouth, son of Andrew Laidler, schoolmaster decd.
and
Isabella Brown of Stepney Skeel (?), daughter of Thomas Brown, tanner.
I'm still searching for the correct record for a marriage between a couple with the same names, probably around 1830.
Free to a good home.
Richard
RPJ
Jones Thomas Dickinson Paulsen Olsen Jackson Laidler Ramage Brown

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Presumably the fathers are different?  Do you have their names?  Could he be a Laidlaw, married Scotland 1839?

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Thanks for your interest Max.
I am trying to confirm the info below.
William Laidler born 24th March 1808 was the son of James and Elizabeth Laidler (Laidlaw)
Isabel (Isabella) Brown born 10th March 1801 was the daughter of Lancelot Brown and Elizabeth née Pender.
My great grandmother was their daughter Margaret Laidler born 20th April 1846. I have her birth cerificate with William and Isabel above as her parents.
Brothers and sisters of Margaret were born as early as 1830, but they could have had a different mother, I suppose.
Thanks
Richard
RPJ

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
One step at a time!  Would Margaret have had a sibling William, christened 13 Oct 1834 Hartburn Northumberland, (Familysearch, father William mother Isabella).

Later - I unfortunately don't have a current sub to FindMyPast so can't see further than the top level but there are some marriage records for Northumberland there where the dates for William and Isabella coincide in the 1820-1837 period.  Fingers crossed someone can look for you.  Might be an idea to post on the Northumberland thread, may get more eyes.

maxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
In the 1851 Census, Margaret 3 has a brother William who is 7. The baptism I have for him is -
 "William 17 April 1843 s. of William Laidler & Isabella Brown, Grasslees, father a Shepherd." Harbottle Presbyterian Church
If there was another brother William born circa 1834, he could have died.
Richard
RPJ

Offline rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Thanks Max.
I did have a lot of this info before in with another thread.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=505352.msg5381775#msg5381775
It's still a mystery. I do have FindMyPast currently, but it hasn't uncovered any more clues.
Richard
RPJ

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WILLIAM LAIDLER wed ISABELLA BROWN on 2nd February 1842 in Newcastle-upon-Tyne
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 19:36 BST (UK) »
Not that it is difficult or anything!  I imagine it will have crossed your mind that perhaps they weren't actually married? 
I'm taken with the idea that Lancelot born 1830 of Lancelot and Isabella Brown, seen in the 1851 as Lancelot Laidler the nephew of one Thomas Brown, was the first born of a Lancelot/Isabella marriage/liaison.  Lancelot senior then dies 1831, Isabella meets and lives with William Laidler who graciously allows Lancelot to be known as Laidler, other children henceforth to be known as Laidler.
Conjecture but otherwise stumped!

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
It's a good story Max, but ...
I shall keep coming back to it in the hope that the truth prevails. The mysteries that I had five years ago have nearly all been solved and I hope it will be the case for the marriage of William and Isabella.
Thanks for your input.
Richard    :-\
RPJ