Author Topic: Cambridgeshire Archives moving to Ely?  (Read 8639 times)

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Cambridgeshire Archives moving to Ely?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 21 September 15 22:53 BST (UK) »
Latest from our local paper

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Cambridgeshire-Archives-Ely-spirals-6m-8211/story-27829532-detail/story.html

Once overpaid people get a bit of power they like to have "the latest", "the best" - and soon budgets are out of control as they add on unnecessary fripperies.  I'm sure visitors to archives would rather have more of a service/more stuff and sit on £20 hard chairs than have the latest ergonomic, self-levelling chairs with eco-adjusted personal lighting zones "at a snip of £1400/workstation" ...and other such nonsense that soon creeps into these public sector vanity projects.

If they stick it in the library they'll all be able to snooze all day as it's pretty inaccessible to the majority ... so it'll be very, very quiet.

Normal people need to go through that budget and list of wants/needs and take a good hard biro to it.....
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline WhiskyMac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 27 September 15 19:16 BST (UK) »
Archive move to Ely.

I hope we see eventually see a good outcome on this.

I don't know what ergonomic, self-levelling chairs with eco-adjusted personal lighting zones are.
But sitting under an air-conditioner is the worst ..... while all the rest are smiling you sit with your
cardigan on and definitely not smiling.

;D

Offline ke

• RootsChat Extra
  • Rogers Motto "nos nostraque deo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 26 November 15 13:07 GMT (UK) »
I think it's only appropriate given the Diocese of Ely covers all of Cambridgeshire and has done so since ancient times.

In Ely there's free parking in most places and good train links from all over the country. There's a lovely riverside, the cathedral and lots beautiful medieval buildings so why not make it a nice day out.  :)
Rogers,Arnett, Day,Wilkin, Gill, Leach, Harper, Dewsbury, Johnson, Thompson. (All from Cambridgeshire).

Y DNA: R1b DF27(Iberian Celtic)

Offline WhiskyMac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 26 November 15 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Yep ke: Reflecting on my earlier comment, you are so right.

For everyone else out there, easy access by train and some free convenient parking is just what you don't have in Cambridge.

Ely is a thriving market town with lots of charm, I second your comments on the riverside etc.
not to mention the Cathedral.

;D

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 30 November 15 08:12 GMT (UK) »
Does National Express go there  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 30 November 15 12:10 GMT (UK) »
I would imagine so, but if you book in advance you should be able to get a ridiculously cheap deal from your nearest train station to Ely. Google National Rail and submit your details. The further ahead you book, up to 13 weeks usually the cheaper the fare.A few years ago my son managed Birmingham to Bournemouth for £2.50 + 50p booking fee, but he was lucky.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Having looked at NE web page they go to Newmarket but not Ely.  :(

Yes the railway gives excellent early booking deals and other cheap rates but unfortunately travel by train for me to Ely means two changes including a tube journey or alternatively tube then train. Trains into London can be very crowded and you could be very lucky to get a seat on them. Also true of the journey home leaving London.  At least Cambridge is accessible by National Express albeit much dearer but you do get a seat all the way.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Aye, looking at the timetables, I see it will take longer to cross town to get to Kings Cross than from there to Ely.

I'm easily swayed by a nice discount though  :)
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Why not to Kings Cross by tube, and then out to Ely? Alternative Nat Express to Cambridge and then to Ely by train?  When I do it I shall go Bournemouth to Waterloo and then KX to Ely.  Expect 3 1/2 hours each way; but so what? Sometimes you have to spend travelling time. When I lived in Doncaster I would go to Taunton 3.4 times a year took around 4 hours each way. Now I live in Bournemouth it takes 5 hours. That's progress thanks to Dr. Beeching and the move out of Taunton by the archives.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)