Author Topic: Cambridgeshire Archives moving to Ely?  (Read 8643 times)

Offline relatedtoturnips

• --
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Cambridgeshire Archives moving to Ely?
« on: Tuesday 05 May 15 17:04 BST (UK) »

Hi folks,

I understand the Cambridgeshire Archives are moving to Ely. I always thought the archives of a County, should be in a central location of that county.

Now it will involve a lot more travel for people to get to the Archives.

What are your thoughts?

http://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/info/20011/archives_archaeology_and_museums/177/archives_and_local_studies/11

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cambridgeshire Archives moving to Ely?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 17:13 BST (UK) »
It will be a win for some people and a loss for others as is always the case with situations like this.

Given that the present accommodation is unsatisfactory it is good they are doing something.
Given that they have to do something it is good they have looked at the costs involved and acted prudently.
Given it is not easy to get to Cambridge and park there it is a good thing they are acting.

My only hesitance is that Ely is not exactly the easiest place to get too and I can see the usage of the archives probably falling as a result of the new location.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline relatedtoturnips

• --
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 17:16 BST (UK) »
It will be a win for some people and a loss for others as is always the case with situations like this.

Given that the present accommodation is unsatisfactory it is good they are doing something.
Given that they have to do something it is good they have looked at the costs involved and acted prudently.
Given it is not easy to get to Cambridge and park there it is a good thing they are acting.

My only hesitance is that Ely is not exactly the easiest place to get too and I can see the usage of the archives probably falling as a result of the new location.

I think Cambridge is easier to get to, with the park & ride system they have. Ely is worse I think, and I agree with you that the usage of the archives will diminish with the new location.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 17:19 BST (UK) »
Oh and I should have added that many archives around the country are not in a central location in their respective counties
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 17:30 BST (UK) »
At least they will still be in a town and relatively easily accessible by public transport, bus and train.

Try Northumberland Archives! They are right 'out in the sticks'. If you want to get there by public transport you must take the bus to Ashington and then either take a walk of a good 15 minutes (according to their website) or get a taxi. The nearest train station is some 7 miles away.

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 18:06 BST (UK) »
At least they will still be in a town and relatively easily accessible by public transport, bus and train.

I have just looked at train fares (without railcard)
Cheapest return London to Cambridge   (£9 there  £6 back)   = £15 return
Cheapest return London to Ely                                              = £29.50 return

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 18:13 BST (UK) »

I have just looked at train fares (without railcard)
Cheapest return London to Cambridge   (£9 there  £6 back)   = £15 return
Cheapest return London to Ely                                              = £29.50 return

I didn't say it would be cheap  ;D  I said it would be relatively accessible compared to (for instance) Northumberland Archives  ;D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 19:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen

Sorry I should have phrased it better  ;D     

You are right about 'at least it is still in a town'  - having to walk 15 minutes or take a taxi would make the journey difficult/expensive for some.  The authorities expect everyone to be able to drive to these places, or at least to the 'park & ride' nearby.

Rosie 

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 20:14 BST (UK) »
You can't please all the people all of the time. People who live in or near Ely are doubtless delighted.
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell