Author Topic: Cambridgeshire Archives moving to Ely?  (Read 8637 times)

Offline relatedtoturnips

• --
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Cambridgeshire Archives moving to Ely?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 20:37 BST (UK) »
You can't please all the people all of the time. People who live in or near Ely are doubtless delighted.

Trouble is they dont please half the people half the time lol. ;D

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 20:53 BST (UK) »
  - having to walk 15 minutes or take a taxi would make the journey difficult/expensive for some. 

You certainly wouldn't want to walk from Ashington to Woodhorn into the teeth of an easterly blowing in off the North Sea  ::)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 20:59 BST (UK) »
  - having to walk 15 minutes or take a taxi would make the journey difficult/expensive for some. 

You certainly wouldn't want to walk from Ashington to Woodhorn into the teeth of an easterly blowing in off the North Sea  ::)

Too right I wouldn't.   ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 10:35 BST (UK) »
I shall not use the archives again once they have moved.

Just as concerning is moving the Cambridgeshire Collection from the Central Library to Ely, the newspaper collection, electoral registers, street directories etc., held there are invaluable and they did have purpose built storage facilities.

Selina
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline WhiskyMac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 17 May 15 19:12 BST (UK) »
I agree the whole thing seems rather bizarre and likely to make life more difficult for researchers.
I feel that surely, somehow, this invaluable archive should have had the priveledge of remaining in
the city. Dare I say it, but after all this is CAMBRIDGE!

The occasional look-up for me will be jeapodised, I like Ely but those long winter months and the long drive ..... not very appealing. As for the Cambridgeshire Collection I ask ask myself  .... why?

P. S. I see that I am surrounded by fellow researchers with ancestors in the north.  ;D

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 17 May 15 21:58 BST (UK) »
At least they will still be in a town and relatively easily accessible by public transport, bus and train.

I have just looked at train fares (without railcard)
Cheapest return London to Cambridge   (£9 there  £6 back)   = £15 return
Cheapest return London to Ely                                              = £29.50 return
Play the system i.e. book London to Cambridge and separately Cambridge to Ely cheapest fare £4.40 =£8.80 return total £23.80. The rail fare site is not good tonight crashing so there may well be a cheaper fare. Using this system you must make certain that the train you catch stops at Cambridge otherwise there will be a heavy excess fare. £20 upwards.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline bitty_matriarch

• RootsChat Member
  • What good is information if not shared with others
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 18 September 15 13:22 BST (UK) »
Wouldn't have minded going to Ely rather than Cambridge when I started my research back in 1999 as my parents lived [at that time] just the other side of Welney Wash!

CAWTHORN, SCOTT & DeSilva PALMER from Cambridgeshire & West Norfolk [and beyond]
http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~cawthorn/genealogy/

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 20 September 15 09:36 BST (UK) »
My tuppence.

The location of archives is always an annoyance for most people - they're either in the middle of cities, where travellers can't reach easily, and/or nowhere near parking, and/or aren't open that many hours.

As somebody "Cambridge born and bred" I'd rather go to Ely, easily park outside and take my time, rather than trying to faff about getting to the Shire Hall.  Of course, that doesn't solve the problem of the inaccessible archives in the main library. 

Many people have moved out of the area, especially as most researchers are probably older now and so moved out for "the quiet life", or married somebody from somewhere else, or had to relocate for work/whatever, so I bet it'll suit more rather than fewer.

Going forward, it's a money-saving exercise - but, bear in mind that Cambridge were told their archive storage is inadequate to meet the needs of an archive service - so the whole lot could have been wiped out through damp/whatever overnight if they were left where they were.

Maybe the new facility, in the future, with a slightly larger budget and more space, will be able to use their space/time/budget wisely to make more records available more easily ..... more digitization and online perusing.

While an annoyance if you happen to live in Histon Road/Huntingdon Road....I'm sure for those in Ely, the Fens, Peterborough, the edges of Newmarket, over at Huntingdon, down near Royston even ....and all those people who now live across the country and the world this is to be welcomed.

When I visit (next year), having driven up from Darzit, I'll be able to simply breeze into the car park without a tinker's care about how long I'll be parking and the cost of it :)  Although, realistically, I'll be doing a round robin, so staying with a sibling in Northamptonshire.

I've already started bookmarking stuff in the CALM....including my G-granddad asking for permission to site a shed/cycle store in his garden -and my GG-granddad requesting a £2 loan from a charity to start a rag/bone business.

I shall not use the archives again once they have moved.

Just as concerning is moving the Cambridgeshire Collection from the Central Library to Ely, the newspaper collection, electoral registers, street directories etc., held there are invaluable and they did have purpose built storage facilities.

Ah, hadn't realised!  Brilliant, finally everything I'd want, all in one place.  Marvellous.
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott