Author Topic: Is "Meek" a nickname?  (Read 18452 times)

Offline pwmeek

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Is "Meek" a nickname?
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 16:19 GMT (UK) »
<snip>
 George Meek of Campfield was a surgeon & founder of the Falkirk Bank, he and his sisters were off the Meek's of Fortissat, Shotts. <snip>
I'm related to that Meek line. (I'm fairly closely DNA related to Russell Meek, who has a strong paper trail to the Fortissat Meeks.) I'm stuck on William Meek (b 1795 or 6; probably from Lanarkshire, east of Glasgow), so I can't (yet) trace back to find my connection with Russell's tree.

Always interested in Fortissat Meek information.

Offline meeks484

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 28 July 16 18:42 BST (UK) »
Fantastic article.  Thanks very much Skoosh.

Great to see some of the Meek history.  I need to try and clarify where my line goes.

Cheers

Mr. Meek, You should check out meekdna.com, its a website that has combined all ydna testing for those with meek surnames. Since a descendant of the Fortissat Meek family (Russel) is in the database, you can find out for sure if you're related to them. Even though my last name is with the 's' (Meeks), and I can't trace my line back to Europe, I know I'm related to the Fortissat Meek family.

Offline Iain Meek

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 26 February 21 14:45 GMT (UK) »
A rumour that I have seen is that the name comes from Old Norse, mjkr or mykr, meaning soft, gentle, and now related to muck & mucky.  The name is relatively common along the East of Great Britain, an area which historically traded with Europe and the Baltic- where the Vikings first arrived.