Author Topic: 24 hours in the past  (Read 8387 times)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Re: 24 hours in the past
« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 May 15 13:53 BST (UK) »
I read in my local paper that a later episode is filmed at the Southwell Workhouse, so I am looking forward to that as some of mine ended up there.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 May 15 16:36 BST (UK) »
I read in my local paper that a later episode is filmed at the Southwell Workhouse, so I am looking forward to that as some of mine ended up there.

Will look out for that one.  I have just googled  Southwell Workhouse, didn't realise it was preserved as a museum, would love to visit.

3 ancestors of mine,  brothers  aged 10,7, 2 ended up in a  Workhouse in 1881 in  Tonbridge.

Jane
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 11 May 15 17:38 BST (UK) »
Visited Southwell workhouse a couple of years back - when I found myself having to do an overnight stay in the area because of a family funeral! Found it very interesting. I'd found one relative in an earlier census who was a Workhouse Master - wonder what quirk of character would lead you to want to do that job?
Still so fascinated by the thought of disinfecting dog-poo in order to comply with 'elf'n'safety!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 11 May 15 18:03 BST (UK) »

Still so fascinated by the thought of disinfecting dog-poo in order to comply with 'elf'n'safety!

I have trawled the net to see if I could find out how authentic programme is. I would love to tell you your dog poo theory was correct. No mention of that but apparently real rotting maggoty bones were used. I love your theories and the thought of disinfecting it!

All that aside it is a good informative programme I love it. We have it so easy today.

Offline lisalucie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A whole lot of yam-yam, a little bit Irish n Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 18 May 15 07:40 BST (UK) »
Am loving this programme! And being a Black Country wench myself I adore the Black Country museum so was great to see it on TV. However both myself and my hubbie (who watches these sort of programmes in a long suffering manner) have been screaming at Ann widecome's refusal to do what she's asked time and time again! I said at the beggginging of last weeks episode "God I hope they send her to the workhouse!" And to my delight that's where their going next week!!!
Lisa
Plimmer,Lees,Ward,Ellis,Childs,Lowbridge,Newbury,Bird,Miles,Collins,Hees,Jones,Dodd-Wolverhampton. Marsh-Dudley. Miles,Harris,Stroud -Drinkwater-Gloucester. Prosser,Carter,Kirby,Dundon-Abergavenny. Hees,Muller-Germany. Goodman - London. Primmer - Ashby de la zouch.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 18 May 15 13:13 BST (UK) »
Ann Widecombe has also driven me nuts. Had she lived in that time, she would have been in a ditch or under a hedge starving to death as no boss would have put up with her antics.
I hope we see some of the wonderful people who act as inmates and staff at the workhouse, they really bring the place to life. Like the senile old dear who wanders around looking where she can empty her chamber pot- or the old rougue who tries to rip off the visitors. They do a sterling job. I do recommend if anyone is near to go and visit when they have a "graft, gruel and good for nothings" event on.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline lisalucie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A whole lot of yam-yam, a little bit Irish n Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 18 May 15 13:21 BST (UK) »
Ann Widecombe has also driven me nuts. Had she lived in that time, she would have been in a ditch or under a hedge starving to death as no boss would have put up with her antics.

Lol!!! That's exactly what we said! I'm sure in those days her taking the moral high ground every five seconds would have left her very hungry and very homeless!!
Plimmer,Lees,Ward,Ellis,Childs,Lowbridge,Newbury,Bird,Miles,Collins,Hees,Jones,Dodd-Wolverhampton. Marsh-Dudley. Miles,Harris,Stroud -Drinkwater-Gloucester. Prosser,Carter,Kirby,Dundon-Abergavenny. Hees,Muller-Germany. Goodman - London. Primmer - Ashby de la zouch.

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 18 May 15 14:17 BST (UK) »

Lol!!! That's exactly what we said! I'm sure in those days her taking the moral high ground every five seconds would have left her very hungry and very homeless!!

Me too!  I think she was a very bad choice,   She does not bring anything to the programme except annoyance!  I felt the same about Strictly Come Dancing, she is obviously trying to re-invent herself as a media star :o

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 18 May 15 14:34 BST (UK) »
Poor Ann, she's been plucked out of the 21st century & plonked down in the 19th century.  Much of her refusal to do certain things comes from her 21st century self rather than the inner Victorian she's supposed to be.  Age is not on her side, nor her fitness level to do these manual tasks.  I think she brings a lot to the group, she's certainly quite a character  ;D

Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.