Author Topic: Medal Mystery  (Read 3098 times)

Offline cj1992

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Medal Mystery
« on: Sunday 10 May 15 15:35 BST (UK) »
Going through some family items I came across this medal. Apart from the details on the face, there are no other markings on it and no inscriptions. Does anybody have any idea what it is and what it might have been issued for? 

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Medal Mystery
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 May 15 15:58 BST (UK) »
The floral imagery represents the countries of the United Kingdom and the motto "Ducit amor patriae" is Latin for (literally) "Love of fatherland leads" - probably better translated as " Let love of country lead me".

This suggests it is an unofficial medal issued by or to a UK patriotic organisation.  There is a very slim possibility that you have a rare faultily struck medallion with a blank obverse and that it should have an identifying crest, bust or inscription - but I wouldn't get excited about that possibility yet.

A quick scan of g00gle for both "Amor patriae ducit" and "Ducit amor patriae" found several examples from the USA and Canada of military organisations with that motto, but a longer search is needed to find a UK possibility.

Hope this helps
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 May 15 19:08 BST (UK) »
Sweet is the love of the homeland. Origin of medallion - no idea?
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cj1992

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 May 15 13:57 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Philip and Hackstaple. I found many North American references re: the motto but I can't find anything in the UK.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 May 15 14:10 BST (UK) »
I've no idea but the symbology is entirely British, the rose for EnglandandWales, the thistle for Scotland and the shamrock for Ireland. 
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline cj1992

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 May 15 14:44 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Regorian. It seems to have everyone stumped at the moment.