Author Topic: John Whitfield born about 1786  (Read 2640 times)

Offline sputnik

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
John Whitfield born about 1786
« on: Tuesday 12 May 15 15:34 BST (UK) »
I am fairly confident my great great great grandfather was a John Whitfield living around the Hampshire/ Dorset border and married to a Mary in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. I am pretty sure he is in the 1841 census, piece 397, book 21, folio 17, page 19 living with wife Mary and their younger children George and William. In the next census Mary is living with some of their children so I assume John is dead by then. I am hoping someone can help me find out about John and Mary's lives pre 1841 and perhaps their parentage?

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: John Whitfield born about 1786
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 11:56 BST (UK) »
When/where is Mary born in the 1851 Census?

EDIT c 1790 Dorset, living in Hurn, Hampshire
Posting for other who may be able to help.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hello
Well the obvious death to start is John Whitfield June 1843 at Christchurch 8 115.
There is a christening for their son Henry at Horton Dorset 8.12.1812
Ann 19.11.1815 , George 27.9.1818  and , daughter Sussanna 14.4.1822 at Cranborne.
John is a labourer it looks like at Farwood./Farnwood.

It seems they were in a bit of a rush to marry 20.5.1812 at Gussage All Saints
John was from Cranborne and Mary Dowland of Gussage .Witness John Smart.
So it looks like she was already pregnant and she went home to her parents to have their first child.

John in the meantime was in Dorchester prison.Sent to trial in Sept 1812 .Age 27 labourer from Cranborne.Married 1 child .Stealing 5 rush bottom chains 5'4 dark brown hair hazel eyes and frwsh complexion.Dimpled chin,injured nail on right hand and acuton on right eye.Orderly conduct.Released 15.1.1813 .

Other possible children baptised at Ringwood Hampshire
William 24.2.1828,Eliza 31.1.1830 and Elizabeth 2.11.1831 labourer.

I'm having trouble finding his parents.There looks to be a brother James born 1787 buried 27.7.1812 age 35 .
I'll get back to you.

Ciderdrinker

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 12:09 BST (UK) »
Good work.

Mary DOWLAND Christened 28 Feb 1790, Horton, Dorset
Parents JOSEPH/MARY
(F/S.Org)

FreeREG has this + a ANN to them 30 June 1805
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline sputnik

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 May 15 14:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for your research. It amazes me how on the edge some of these families were. I found a family tree on Ancestry some while ago that suggested Johns father was a John Whitfield of Damerham b 1757. The problem was his profile was accompanied by a portrait and life details that didn't seem to fit with the poverty of subsequent generations so I didn't pursue it. I believe Damerham is now in Hampshire previously in Wiltshire. The boundaries of the counties of Hampshire, Dorset and Wiltshire don't help my research being so close and inconsistent.

Offline sputnik

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 May 15 20:23 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage in Rockbourne Hampshire in 1772 between a John Whitfield of Damerham and a Susannah Barter of Rockbourne. One of the children cider drinker found for our John was a Susannah. Named after the mother? With the county boundaries so close the family is quite difficult to track so I'll post on the Hampshire section of the forum too.

Offline pjwhitfield

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 February 20 20:54 GMT (UK) »
It's been a long time since this question was posed so I hope this is still relevant. My 2x great grandfather was William Whitfield born in Kinson Dorset in 1813. His father was George Whitfield born in Barnstaple Devon in 1789. George had a brother John born in Barnstaple in 1785. I have a feeling this might be the John Whitfield who appears in Dorset around 1812. George died around 1816 and John called his son born in 1818, George. George and John's parents were James and Elizabeth, names which also pop up in John's Dorset family. it's not clear why they moved from Devon to Dorset but Elizabeth died in childbirth with George and James remarried in 1802. They also had an uncle Matthew Whitfield who moved from Devon to Dorset working as a Revenue Officer.
James remained in Barnstaple and ran a successful draper's store in Joy Street.
I don't have any concrete proof that George and John were brothers but it does seem to fit the known facts about John.