Author Topic: Searching for Tatomir ancestors from the Ukraine  (Read 1202 times)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Tatomir ancestors from the Ukraine
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 11 November 21 15:19 GMT (UK) »
my father in law was from Rohatyn ,Ukraine - his religion was Greek Orthadox - their church was Greek Orthadox and according to my wife the vast majority in that area were Greek Orthadox ??
try
https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Ukraine_Online_Genealogy_Records

good luck

ADDED - There was a Jewish community in Rohatyn 
https://rohatynjewishheritage.org/en/history/timeline-early-years/
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Online Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 11 November 21 19:58 GMT (UK) »
some names for your list

https://en.geneanet.org/fonds/individus/?size=10&sexe=&nom=tatomir&ignore_each_patronyme=&prenom=&prenom_operateur=or&ignore_each_prenom=&place__0__=&zonegeo__0__=Canada&country__0__=CAN&region__0__=&subregion__0__=&place__1__=&zonegeo__1__=&country__1__=&region__1__=&subregion__1__=&place__2__=&zonegeo__2__=&country__2__=&region__2__=&subregion__2__=&place__3__=&zonegeo__3__=&country__3__=&region__3__=&subregion__3__=&place__4__=&zonegeo__4__=&country__4__=&region__4__=&subregion__4__=&type_periode=between&from=&to=&exact_month=&exact_day=&exact_year=&go=1

Link includes some obituaries/death notices from this century which include names of relatives.

4 other RootsChat boards with advice, tips and sources which may help your research are "Canada", "Europe", "Immigrants and Emigrants" and "Other Countries". Each board has an information section, followed by a list of threads. Select "Forum" from headings above this thread to access Forum contents page. Scroll down past U.K. countries.
Another section to look at is under "Help" tab. Select topics "Getting the best from RootsChat" and "Guidelines for posting" from menu. The latter has links to tips on searching for living people.
If you haven't already done so, add Tatomir to "Surname Interests". It's under "Your Tools" in brown section at the bottom of the page.

Is there a Ukrainian association and a Ukrainian family history society in your country?

There are general guides for people starting out on family history.   
Cowban

Offline jchristopht

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 13 November 21 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for this info it has helped.
Anyone else out there who knows anythin more about Johann/John Tatomir and other related family history feel free to let me know.

I am trying to find the past as well as through historic language changes current address of where Johann/John Tatomir owned property/house or address where he lived/was born. Would be really interesting to do a bit of a street view to see the exact place!

Anyone who can find that for me or at least help me out with what property he owned or address he lived especially in new language of today so I can find now would be appreciated. Thanks

Offline Svenja

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kreszentia Beinberger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 14 November 21 03:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Did you already find the Canadian Census entries of 1916, 1921, 1926, the passenger manifests and the border crossings or the personnel records of WWI? You should find all this records online on "Library and Archives Canada".

Canadian Census
https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/Pages/census.aspx

Immigration
https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/immigration/Pages/introduction.aspx

Military Heritage
https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/Pages/military-heritage.aspx

First World War
https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/Pages/introduction.aspx

At least the passenger manifest but maybe also the census entries could contain information which is important to know to find traces of the family in Ukraine.

Regards

Svenja
Switzerland + USA: Iten, Letter, Besmer, Mathis, Meier, Schwager, Eisenring
Germany/Bavaria: Beinberger, Painberger, Schleich, Pfeiffer, Weber, Schelle
Germany/Bavaria: Boeck, Rauch, Pracht, Sporer, Schorer, Mahler, Grotz
Germany/Franken: Weidner, Reuss, Beifuss, Trenkert, Drenkert, Drenkart
Germany/Jewish: Bachmann, Bamberger, Straus(s), Kraus(s), Lehmann, Gutmann
I can read and write German, English and French.
I can translate from Italian and Latin to the above languages.

Offline jchristopht

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 14 November 21 05:29 GMT (UK) »
The main information I'm looking for is their registration records of being classified as enemy aliens in Canada during WW1 period as well as any information related to some missing time during that period which seems very probable Johann Tatomir was interned or at least registered as a enemy alien, highly likely but govt erased the records of this for the most part so it's tough to find more evidence.

If anyone out there knows how I could find the records of the possible WW1 Ukrainian internment/enemy alien registration records would be appreciated. 

Other main info I'm looking for is any info about what address Johann Tatomir owned or resided in before he left for Canada including both previous language street name and modern street name.

There seems to be many Tatomirs as well as many other people from the village area my grandpa were in that were killed or sent to concentration camps during ww2. Even people who due to past history of forced conversions forgot they had Jewish ancestry those individuals were still classified and treated as Jews by Nazis and allies same Jewish classification and treatment from my research was also done to same people in the village area by USSR. Many Jewish people I. That area after forced conversions and discrimination hid their faith for safety etc but we're still found out in future by Nazis anyways including different very possible Tatomir members of my family.

I am looking for more direct links and evidence to all this information and questions I'm mentioning so if anyone at all can help me find these items of info I'm mentioning specifically would be greatly appreciated as I am newer to this.

Does anyone know what happened to the other more closely related Tatomirs or connected families after or before my family left? I can't seem to find alot of concrete info but if anyone at all can help me and my family out with this we would be so thankful.

Offline Svenja

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kreszentia Beinberger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 14 November 21 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I can't help you if you don't answer my questions. I need to know what place of birth or place of origin and religion/confession of your ancestors ist mentionned on Canadian documents. If you have to research people who came from the Ukraine it is important to know if they considered themselfs as Austrians, Galicians, Germans, Ukrainians, Rutheniens in the Canadian Census. Because this gives a clue to which area of the Ukraine they came from and in which archives, websites, databases in/of the Ukraine you have to do some further research.

You mention that you did some research but you don't mention where you did do your research and which kinds of records you already found there. Did you search on "Library and Archives Canada" or on familysearch or on ancestry or on JewishGen or on the "Arolsen Archives Online"?

Jewish Gen has indexed metrical records of Poland, Galicia and Ukraine and they also have a huge database with different kinds of Holocaust records. The "Arolsen Archives Online" also have many records of Jews who were deported to concentration camps but they also have many records about Ukrainian (Polish, Russian) forced laborers and displaced persons. Some of the records of the "Arolsen Archives Online" you can also find on ancestry, but you will find more records on their own website.

Regards

Svenja
Switzerland + USA: Iten, Letter, Besmer, Mathis, Meier, Schwager, Eisenring
Germany/Bavaria: Beinberger, Painberger, Schleich, Pfeiffer, Weber, Schelle
Germany/Bavaria: Boeck, Rauch, Pracht, Sporer, Schorer, Mahler, Grotz
Germany/Franken: Weidner, Reuss, Beifuss, Trenkert, Drenkert, Drenkart
Germany/Jewish: Bachmann, Bamberger, Straus(s), Kraus(s), Lehmann, Gutmann
I can read and write German, English and French.
I can translate from Italian and Latin to the above languages.