Author Topic: Early Annan Census - look up offer  (Read 44224 times)

Offline vangasser

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Early Annan Census - look up offer
« Reply #153 on: Tuesday 23 July 19 17:09 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone, So good to see the enthusiastic suggested support from you all to even new comers such as me.
The van Gass names was changed in the Cape of Good Hope (Cape Town, South Africa) from Gass. The progenitor Johan(n) Georg GASS arrived in the Cape around April 1816. He married a Jacoba Barendina Zimmerman(n), whose father was Heinrich Zimmerman(n).
When they were married she used the name de Gass, which lasted until they had children, all four then with the surname of van Gass. Their only little girl apparently died very young. Their fourth child, 3rd son, was Johan George van Gass. He is my GGgrandfather. Direct line Johan(n) Gass (who later was seen as van Gass) - Johan George van Gass, Willem Jacobus Abraham van Gass, who is my grandfather.     
Thank you for your help. Ed v.

Offline adamsgt88

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: Monday 30 November 20 21:56 GMT (UK) »
In case this is any help to anyone reading this thread, Margaret Gass (b. 1787, Annan) married 11/11/1810 in Annan to David Wield (b. 1785, Annan). Their daughter, Margaret Wield (b. 4/2/1823, Annan) married James McCall.  They had a son, William James McCall (b. 1868, Annan) who married Sarah Ann Storey at St Silas' Church, Liverpool 22/12/1895.  Their daughter Annie is my great grandmother. 

I am keen to hear from anyone who found this information useful... :)

Offline brownt53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: Tuesday 08 December 20 11:25 GMT (UK) »
The Early Annan Census book is now available with other Annan books as an E-book on the Dumfries and Galloway Family History website at www.dgfhs.org/uk/shop-online/