Author Topic: Early Annan Census - look up offer  (Read 44060 times)

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Early Annan Census - look up offer
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 05:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello Pam

I see this is a long standing thread - if the offer is still on could you give me anything you have on Porteous (or variants - Porteus, Portus.) in Annan.

Do you know if George Gilchrist's book/s are still obtainable?

Regards and thank you,

Ceeoh

Offline L B

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 12 March 10 20:34 GMT (UK) »
George Gilchrist was my grandfather, perhaps I can find out what happened to these records for you. Also I had a teacher at Elmvale primary school called Miss Porteous, she is now Mrs Stewart/Stuart and teaches at Newington primary school.

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 12 March 10 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello LB
Thanks for your reply.  How exciting to have found a relative of George Gilchrist.  He was instrumental in establishing - with the Jardine family - my particular connection through Dunty Porteous the Ghost of Spedlins Tower.  (A very long story!)  This particular branch of the Porteous family is huge, the Scottish families being scattered (mainly) throughout Dumfriesshire. 

I have several photo copies obtained from Lockerby library of MIs but by no means do the few I have cover this widely spread family.

Any of your grandfather's works that you may be able to guide me to would be very much appreciated.

I see this is your first post to Rootschat - welcome and thank you for replying to my query.

Regards

Ceeoh

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 22 March 10 18:49 GMT (UK) »
To LB

Do you know if your ex teacher is interested in her Porteous family history?  If you are in touch with her perhaps you could tell her there is to be a Porteous Associates Reunion in Edinburgh, weekend 11th - 13th September this year.  Porteous families world wide will be attending - always an excellent get-together.

Regards

Ceeoh

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 22 March 10 19:00 GMT (UK) »
HI LB, my apologies, I referred to your grandfather as Tom - I do know he was George.  Unable to send another pm RC limited you to one (presumably until you have further posts).

Ceeoh

Offline elliejardine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 06:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello LB
Thanks for your reply.  How exciting to have found a relative of George Gilchrist.  He was instrumental in establishing - with the Jardine family - my particular connection through Dunty Porteous the Ghost of Spedlins Tower.  (A very long story!)  This particular branch of the Porteous family is huge, the Scottish families being scattered (mainly) throughout Dumfriesshire. 

I have several photo copies obtained from Lockerby library of MIs but by no means do the few I have cover this widely spread family.

Any of your grandfather's works that you may be able to guide me to would be very much appreciated.

I see this is your first post to Rootschat - welcome and thank you for replying to my query.

Regards

Ceeoh

Ceeoh~

I am a Jardine in California.  At our annual Scottish Gathering and Games of San Francisco/Pleasanton, in perhaps 1998, we met a Porteous descendant and asked if he might bring other family members the following year, and he did!  Perhaps 12 or Jardines and 8 Porteous got together.  We offered our regrets and apologies for the injustice done to Dunty, which were accepted, then we shared a great  many "wee drams" and family stories. 

I edited the Jardine newsletters for the western U.S. and did much research under the tutelage of Jerry Jardine FSA Scot and came into posession of the "blueprint drawings" of the original Spedlins tower, reconstructed and generated partly from historical documents and partly by newer analysis by a government agency for the architect who rebuilt/remodeled it for modern living not too long ago.

What was interesting was the "dungeon".  It was built under the staircase, just beneath the lower living quarters (which were on 2nd & 3rd stories) on the ground level where livestock and stores were kept.  The awful thing was that it was only three feet wide, twelve feet long and 9 feet tall.  Completely windowless, and the only access was a tiny "trap door" in the ceiling. 

I have seen varying stories about why Dunty was imprisoned.  What I was taught by Jerry Jardine was that Dunty was FALSLEY accused of setting the mill on fire.  What are your views on this?

Offline elliejardine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 06:50 GMT (UK) »
The awful thing was that it was only three feet wide, twelve feet long and 9 feet tall. 

This would be ONE meter wide, 4 meters long and 3 meters tall.

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello elliejardine
Many thanks for your mail.
Will send you a pm.
Regards
Ceeoh

Offline skasd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 23 June 12 17:47 BST (UK) »
I see your original post is from quite some time ago, but if you are still able to do look ups from early Annan Census please could you look at the following.

My ancestor William Graham Steel(e) I know he died in 1883 and on his death record states he was 74 years old, therefore birth in around 1809. All census records from 1851 - 1881 stated Annan as his birth place.
His death record also named his parents : David Steele (farmer) married to Jane Steele (nee Steele)

I cannot find a record of his birth, I cannot confirm his parents on any census records 1841 onwards and don't know of any siblings for William. All of which I am keen to find out.

I have found a marriage record for David Steel marrying Jean Steele in Ecclefechan in 1803 but don't know if this is one and the same?

William married Joan Weild in 1839 and they lived in Dornock, His children are named: Jane, Janet, David, Jamesie-Dobie, George, William-W, John-Johnstone and Robert which might be relevent based on the old naming pattern for scots/irish families?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.
Sincerely
Kate Hennessy nee Steele