Author Topic: Early Annan Census - look up offer  (Read 44056 times)

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
Re: Early Annan Census - look up offer
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 12:31 BST (UK) »
You're most welcome.

Yes, I found the Benson churchyard memorials a tad sad, so many died so young.

Had hoped you would find the 1851 census interesting and, has given you some relevent information.

cupcake
Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 12:35 BST (UK) »
Good to hear John Lindsay and Mary Bell are your direct line of ancestors. Your are very fortuante to have their death details from the MI's. I haven't been able to find my GGG Grandparents death and burial details. There are no death records for Annan, before 1855 :'(

Shall do some searching at the library, to see if I can find your John & Mary's marriage for around 1820.

cupcake

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 22:28 BST (UK) »
No luck at the library. I looked for a marriage on the OPR's as well as a birth for Mary Bell, but nothing.

I am sure I saw a marriage for a John Lindsay and Nicholas Reid but, didn't make the connection, as I hadn't the info with me.

cupcake

Offline Floyd11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 06:48 BST (UK) »
Hi!

Yes thanks i know about the John Lindsay Nicholas Reid Marriage of 27 April 1815 Annan, that was his first wife who seems to have disappeared about 1819.

Nickolas Reid had a sister Catherine who married Thomas Youd from the Isle Of Man.

They had Jane Lindsay  born 1816 and her son was a Prime Minister of New Zealand Richard John Seddon.

I am descended from the Mary Bell and John Lindsay side.

Cheer from Chris the Kiwi

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 21:39 BST (UK) »

Hello again,

Have you ever been to the UK and visited Annan. The reason I ask this, if you haven't, I could go to the churchyard and see if there are headstones and, take some photographs for you.

cupcake

Offline tkgafs

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 29 June 12 15:12 BST (UK) »
This is a bit of a cheek as well as a bit of a longshot

I'm trying to trace the burial of a James Moffat born 1730ish presumably in the Annan area and his wife Katharine Dalgleish baptised Annan 1st april 1733

Katharines father is probably George Dalgleish and his wife might be Jean Irving

James and Katharine had the following children

John Moffat 1763 - ?
Elizabeth Moffat 1765 - ?
Mary Moffat 1767 - ?
Agnes Moffat 1769 - before 1851
William Moffat 1772 - 1839

If you are in the Annan graveyard and see any stones that match with these people I'd be very grateful

best wishes

Tkgafs

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 29 June 12 18:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Tkgafs,

Not a problem as we are doing this to help each other in our resarchers. However, I haven't been able to find where James Moffat and Catherine Dalgleish are buried or, their death details.All I know about them is, they were married abt.1759.

James and Catherine are my GGGG Grandparents.

Their son William b.abt. 1772 is my GGG Grandfather. He married a Christian/Christina Fraser. They had two sons I know of - James Moffat born  abt. 1798  Joseph Moffat b. 1802 was my GG Grandfather. Joseph and the family moved to Penninghame, Newton Stewart.

I haven't been able to find my GGG Grandparents death or burial place, either. Do you have any info on William and Christina/Christian Moffat?

I have posted on the Annan board for info on Wiliam's son ( James Moffat Shoemaker)

cupcake

Offline tkgafs

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 29 June 12 22:23 BST (UK) »
Snap

James and Katharine [many different spellings of her name] are also my gggg grandparents

I am descended from Agnes Moffat who married a William Kennedy , if you PM me your email address I can send you a copy of a letter dated  11/09/1839 from William Kennedy to his daughter Mary which mentions that her "Uncle William Moffat has died about a fortnight ago, but they got no word about it".

William Kennedy was a schoolmaster in Ecclefechan, and Agnes might be buried in Hoddam 06 May 1847, but this may be another Agnes Moffat whose maiden name was Agnes Rae.

Agnes was alive and living in Middlebie in 1841 census, but I think William Kennedy was dead by then although I can find no record of it.

Tkgafs 

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 29 June 12 22:37 BST (UK) »

Snap indeed. Nice to hear about other Moffat's.

I shall have a look at the Hoddom Parish Memorial Inscriptions, for William Kennedy and Agnes Moffat (nee Rae), soon. They include Hoddom & Ecclefechan.

Will PM you with my e-mail address.

cupcake