Author Topic: Early Annan Census - look up offer  (Read 44241 times)

Offline mungral

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Early Annan Census - look up offer
« Reply #108 on: Thursday 14 April 16 06:59 BST (UK) »
Hello all.  I've just stumbled across rootschat and the first thread I found was about Annan, fantastic!

I am directly descended from the Nicholson family that had a shipbuilding company in Annan in the 19th century but in reading this thread I noted lots of references to "Irving", also a name in my tree.

Jean Irving Forrest (c. 11.1. 1786) was daughter of John Forest.  His mother was Jean Irving (c. 26.5.1723) daughter of William Irving and Mary Ferguson (m about 1718).

Perhaps this will be of help to someone.

Offline Donnalynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Thursday 14 April 16 18:09 BST (UK) »
Hello again, Cupcake.

May I take you up on the offer to look at the early Annan censuses? I am fairly certain the death info you gave me on Richard Irving (d. 1835) is for "my" Richard.

Now I am on to looking for his parents. Since Richard married on 22 Sep 1820, I would expect to find him with his wife Jane/Jean/Jannet in the 1821 census. (There should also be two sons from a previous marriage to Mr. Lawson, and possibly a baby boy, Robert, born 22 Mar 1821).

According to Scottish naming patterns, I think his father may have been Robert...I am guessing that Richard was born about 1791, but that is only a guess!

If you could have a look at the early Annan censuses and let me know if there is anything there, I'd really appreciate it. And perhaps next time you are at the Annan cemetery, you could see if Richard Irving is buried there.

I can't thank you enough for all you do!

Donnalynn

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Sunday 17 April 16 09:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Donnalynn,

Has taken me a while to search as there are so many Irvings in Annan (75 in the 1801 census and 61 in the 1801 census.)

Looked at the 1801 for a Robert IRVING with a Richard. Found one but doesn't say whether he is a son or not:

1801 Annan Census  BURGH SOUTH SIDE

Robert Irving, Jean Irving, Richard Irving, Elizabeth Bell, Agnes Gass  (ag 2)

1821 Annan Census  HALLMEADOW

Richard, Mrs Irving, William, John, David , Robert Lawson, Maid, (ag 2)

If that is the family in the 1821 Census - could Richard's father be a William ?

Looked up both the Annan (Town Hall) Old Burial Ground Memorial Inscriptions and the Annan Old Parish Church graveyard Memorial Inscriptions - but there aren't any Richard Irving burials.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

cupcake
Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Sunday 17 April 16 21:03 BST (UK) »
You mention there should also be two sons from a previous marriage to Mr Lawson, and possibly a baby boy, Robert, born 22 Mar 1821).

I looked up Richard's marriage on Scotland's People for 22 Sept 1820 - he married a Jenet Lawson - I would assume Lawson was her maiden name  :-\

cupcake

Offline Donnalynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Sunday 17 April 16 23:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Cupcake...
Actually, Lawson was her married name. On her marriage record to John Lawson, Jenet's name is recorded as Faulder. This tripped me up for a bit, but I have managed to find both marriage records and the birth records of four sons - two from each marriage.

Thanks for the early census info. Is there someplace I could purchase the transcripts?

Donnalynn

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Monday 18 April 16 08:06 BST (UK) »
Was the 1821 Annan Census the family?

I have no idea whether you can purchase the transcripts.

Either Richard had no headstone or,perhaps they moved away from Annan.

cupcake

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Monday 18 April 16 08:25 BST (UK) »

Just out of curiosity, I looked up the name Faulder and found just the one in the 1811 census and just the one in the 1821 census.

1811 census WINDMILL

Robt, Faulder S; & spo; William; Mary; Jos. Farish, Sam Irving, S (Not sure what the capital S means - Sailor?)

1821 census HALLMEADOW

Tho. Faulder, spouse 40, Joseph,John, Robert, daughter

cupcake

Offline Allison Oosterman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Sunday 26 March 17 04:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the offer to look up certain names. I am currently searching for the names Ker in Annan.
I have a relative James Ker born in Annan in about 1811 and he married an Elizabeth, (Betsey) Pool, from Teweksbury.
I can find no references anywhere to their marriage. I believe James was the son of William Ker and Nansy Holliday. I have a reference in James' NZ obituary to The Howes, Annan. Are you able, or is anyone here able, to shed any further light on this person.

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Sunday 26 March 17 10:01 BST (UK) »

I have searched for their marriage, no joy, even tried Scotlands People in case they were married Scotland and also Family search. Could they have immigrated?

If I come across anything I'll let you know.

cupcake