Author Topic: Ryan / Leake marriage, Limerick, 1839. One Protestant and the other RC?  (Read 11154 times)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan / Leake marriage, Limerick, 1839. One Protestant and the other RC?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 16 May 15 08:49 BST (UK) »
The infants name was Maria Alice Leake daughter of Anna Maria Leake and William Leake.

I wonder if this is the Probate of your Maria Alice Leake? Ireland, Landed Estate Court Files, 1850-1885. (Record is for 1858)
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KCFK-XQK

And I wonder if this was her mother Anna Maria Tinsley Als Leake? (Record is for 1858)
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KCFK-XWC

I think you have to go in to family search to view the images
((A bit creepy if their probate was granted the same year))

There is some newspaper record here that seems to be pertinent but as it is a subscription site I can't see into it
"The Freeman's Journal from Dublin, · Page 1
www.newspapers.com/newspage/61540529/
... and lately the Estate of tbe Bobert A. Fitzgerald or , Johd ' B. Tinsley and -' Anns Maria Tinsley, otherwise ' ' Leake,' 'his ; wife and Maria Alice Leake, a Minor 1 .."

((Could Ann Maria Leake have remarried a John B.Tinsley? Shame we can't just read this. Also There was a Robert A Fitzgerald who was a brother of Barbara T. (Fitzgerald) Staunton, is this him being metioned?))
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 16 May 15 09:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you whiteout.

I've been looking left, right and centre today, and it confirms Anna Maria Leake nee Fitzgerald married a Tinsley after her first husband, William Leake, died.  And then her only daughter (only surviving child?) died.  And I also found other connections to Robert and Barbara, who would be brother and sister of Maria who married Michael Ryan.

And these people seem fairly well off.  I can't get my head around the short lifespans and high child mortality at this time.

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 16 May 15 09:47 BST (UK) »
"The 1846 Trade Directory for Limerick  notes William Leake, Solicitor of 19 Thomas St.
Griffiths Valuation of 1850 has him at 27 Upper Glentworth St. Limerick. William died
on the 14th June 1850. Anna Maria remarried a John Tinsley"

http://www.limerickcity.ie/media/limerick%20families%20109.pdf

I am wondering if mother and daughter died of some epidemic?
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 16 May 15 09:56 BST (UK) »
Until you pointed it out I hadn't noticed quite how quickly Maria refound happiness. ;)

I think there were several outbreaks of cholera in Ireland around that time.  Maybe that's what they succumbed to.

You don't suppose her second husband was the Mayor?
http://www.limerickcity.ie/media/Tinsley,%20Monckton,%20Barkman,%20Browne.pdf

This is getting all a bit complicated for me now!
From page 45 onwards are some mortgages to do with some of these people.  I don't understand what they mean though.
https://www2.ul.ie/pdf/849950328.pdf

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 19 March 16 03:15 GMT (UK) »
"W.F.Leake:
* This gentleman, I am informed, filled the office of lieutenant-colonel of the county Limerick regiment
for some'time; he was father of George Leake, Esq., who built the house at Rathkeale abbey, where the family had its residence for a very long period of time, and was grandfather of George D'Alton Leake, Esq , for several years master of the county Limerick fox hounds, and remarkable as a keen sportsman. At D’Al’ton Leake’s funeral the members of the county hunt all attended in hunting costume; and at the express desire of the deceased, the huntsman and honnds followed his remains to the family vault in Rathkeale churchyard. D’Alton Leake was the brother of the late William Leake, Esq., who filled the office of county sub-sheriff with popularity and respect. George D’Alton Leake died unmarried; his brother William married Anna Maria, sistei ot E. F. G. Ryan, Esq., R.M., Midleton, and M. R. Ryan, Esq., J.P., Templemungret, leaving one child, Maria Alice, the last survivor in the direct line of the Leake family."

http://www.mocavo.com/Limerick-Its-History-and-Antiquities/255946/798

Well, now that the Irish Catholic parish records are easier to search I've come across an interesting baptism at Newcastle West on 2nd May 1843.

The child is Anna Leake, illegitimate daughter of George Leake and Ellena Corbett.

George D Leake was appointed magistrate of Newcastle West in March 1839, but this may have been temporary.

George died on March 16th 1844 at the residence of Daniel Dickson Power, Odellville.   He was 38 years old.

I wonder whether this is his child, and what became of her?

Offline Greg0220

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 20 January 19 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Prior to this, the house at Rathkeale Abbey was owned by Jonas Leake (1708_1762) married to Mary Yeamans
Lynch-Cork/Ontario
Considine-Ireland/Ontario
Daly-Galway/New Brunswick
Kelly-Galway/New Brunswick
MacDonald-Moidart/Nova Scotia
Thomson-Ireland/Gaspe Que
Thompson-Moidart/Nova Scotia
Kane-Ireland/New Brunswick
McNish-Scotland/Ontario
McCulloch-Keppoch/Ontario
MacDonell-Glengarry/Ontario
Fitzgerald-Limerick/Ontario