Author Topic: 1915 photo of troop exercises on promenade. "Blackpool"?  (Read 4794 times)

Offline Humphpaul

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1915 photo of troop exercises on promenade. "Blackpool"?
« on: Friday 15 May 15 16:26 BST (UK) »
My family have a 1915 photo of my Mother's brother taken of him and some other soldiers doing bayonet drill on a seaside prom.

He was in the King's Liverpool Rifles who I think were  sent to a training unit at Blackpool.

Can you please have a look at the attachment to see if anyone can identify the place now.

Any help gratefully received. Cheers Humphpaul
Paul, Humphrey, Vaughan, Lewis, Williams, Parry, Jones, Fairclough, Howard, Allan, Baylis, Wright, Ritson.
Barmouth, Llangellinin, Liverpool, Maryport Cumberland, Port Glasgow, Nercwys (Nerquis), Mold, Gwysaney, Hope, Doddleston, Higher Kinnerton.

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1915 photo of troop exercises on promenade. "Blackpool"?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 May 15 18:10 BST (UK) »
It does look like part of the prom that is on two levels, as in this postcard from the Francis Frith site
http://www.francisfrith.com/blackpool/blackpool-the-terrace-1890_22887
There's another view here which shows a lamppost the same shape as the one on your pic
http://www.francisfrith.com/blackpool/blackpool-the-promenade-1906_53869

:) Barbara
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Humphpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 May 15 20:38 BST (UK) »
hello BarbaraH, thank you for the rapid reply. I have looked at the photos and am delighted to see the matching features. One of  the photos is of the the Cliffe Walk and there are some gateposts or monuments in it that could be like the little  monument which is in the top right hand of my photo.

I hope to get  to Blackpool in the summer and have a walk along the prom and see if I can match thinks up.  I will let you know what I find. Thanks again Humphpaul
Paul, Humphrey, Vaughan, Lewis, Williams, Parry, Jones, Fairclough, Howard, Allan, Baylis, Wright, Ritson.
Barmouth, Llangellinin, Liverpool, Maryport Cumberland, Port Glasgow, Nercwys (Nerquis), Mold, Gwysaney, Hope, Doddleston, Higher Kinnerton.

Offline Humphpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 July 15 12:44 BST (UK) »
Just to update on this:- I went to Blackpool recently and went all along the prom on the tram and on foot but could not see anything to match slipways in the photo. There have been lots of big construction jobs on the sea defences and I  think the bit I want has disappeared in the process.

A chap in Cleveleys British Legion said there were training trenches around Squires Gate in 1914 to 18 so it may have been that end of the prom, but all the seawalls  have been rebuilt there too.

It was not important - just curiosity. Thanks for your help. Alan

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 July 15 06:53 BST (UK) »
Hi. Hp. No help sorry. But a thanks for sharing the photo. Brave lads. Especially nice in the centenary years.  Rob.
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline xmedia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 July 15 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hi

As a Blackpool resident I believe the area you are looking for was around the lower promenade area
near the Metropole Hotel.    If you look at the attached picture from Google Maps, the post to the right of the lamp post, bears a good resemblance to the post on the top right of your photo.   I also believe that there was a training headquarters at the top end of Queen Street, which is very close to that area and would be a logical place to go to that area of promenade to train.

As you say there has been significant coastal defence work along the promenade but that area is the only area that has always had a lower walk as seen in the picture.  You can't really tell from that picture angle but there is a slade going down to another lower level again.

Offline Humphpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 July 15 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hello Xmedia thanks for that good info. I did get off the tram at that spot and went down to the lower level to look back up but could not see that tower from where I was. But it certainly seemed the most likely spot and I must have another look when I can get there again.
I live in Llandudno so it's a bit of a trip.

Another photo I have is of some of the same lot (including my uncle) outside a building possibly in Blackpool. I wonder could that have been in the Queen St. area. I have attached a copy. Cheers Humphpaul. Sorry it wont. send it as it is too big, over 900KB ! even though it is the same as the other one. I will send this message and try to sort out the photo to follow.

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 July 15 17:46 BST (UK) »
I'm not a Blackpool resident but I have walked from Fleetwood into Blackpool several times; most recently about three weeks ago. As xmedia says, the only bit of the prom. which hasn't been rebuilt in recent times is the stretch North of the North pier and the place xmedia refers to was also my first thought.

There are several places North of there where different levels come together and it might be worth your while walking into Blackpool from just South of Cleveleys (where they are also rebuilding the Prom.) to see if anything matches.

I don't think the "stump" at the back of your photo' is the tower but simply the base of a lamp-post. The only concern I have, so far as I am aware; and the terrain would suggest this, is that small boats tended to operate from the middle of the prom. rather than the northern end.

Offline Humphpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 July 15 05:19 BST (UK) »
Dear Xmedia. This is the photo I meant to send with my last message. Cheers Humphpaul