Author Topic: Has anyone heard of Wilma Lodge, Epsom Road, Ewell?  (Read 10590 times)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone heard of Wilma Lodge, Epsom Road, Ewell?
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 23 July 15 15:44 BST (UK) »
Someone will have paid for her to be at Wilmar Lodge.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline David Gamper

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 22:32 BST (UK) »
Of course this is a very old discussion thread but I just came across it. I was born at Wilmar Lodge in 1953. I agree with ShaunJ that it was quite an upmarket nursing home - i.e. place to have a baby.

Offline PAK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 01 April 19 00:43 BST (UK) »
I found a distant relative on the electoral register at Wilmer Lodge in 1946. There were a number of entries for people with different surnames so clearly it was still being used as a nursing home then. As it was 1946 I surmised that my relative may have been recovering from injuries after wartime service.

Offline marywilliams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 20 February 22 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am trying to find out any information on Wilma Lodge. My mother was born there in August 1943 when it was some sort of home for unmarried mothers.
I can find almost no information for this period - I believe it was previously known as Hessle House, and is now a care home for the elderly with a different name.

I would love to know anything anyone might know, anyone who remembers it as Wilma Lodge, what it was like, photos, who it was run by at the time......really anything would be very much appreciated - I'm beginning to think my mother was the only person actually born there, and that maybe it actually never was a mother and baby home at all  ???

Offline marywilliams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 20 February 22 22:33 GMT (UK) »
I know this is an old post but I was born in Wilmar Lodge mother and baby home ,Ewell , Surrey, UK in August 1953. My mother was not allowed to see me and I was adopted at 5 days old. So it did exist. Its on my birth certificate. It was at the now junction of the A24 and Epsom Road but of course roads have been altered since 1953.