Author Topic: Taylor from Isle of Wight?  (Read 6741 times)

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Taylor from Isle of Wight?
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 21 May 15 16:28 BST (UK) »

Hi,

I'd be wary of the William baptised in Newchurch in 1789 as there are other William and Mary marriages in the area about the right time,

William TAYLOR
Mary DOMINEY
4 Dec 1783
Newchurch, Hampshire

William TAYLOR
Mary MAYBY
1 Jan 1787
Newchurch, Hampshire

William TAYLOR seems to be an awfully popular name ::)

Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Kateryan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 23 May 15 15:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Groom! I wonder if that's where he was from?

Daisy do you know if Ingram is a common name there at the time? If not it would certainly help verify that the marriage of Mary Ingram and William Taylor is the right one.

Do you know where I'd look for more of the history of the area at the time? I'm very interested in the family rumor that he was abducted and forced to work on a ship. I had no idea that happened in England and I haven't found anything more about it when I tried searching.

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 01 June 15 17:36 BST (UK) »

Hi,

Sorry that I haven't replied sooner but I've only just seen your reply :-[

I think Ingram was quite an unusual name on the Isle of Wight. In 1841 I can only find 21 and considering that a lot of these were wives and children born much later than 1789ish it looks like there were only a few in the 18th century.

As to William's abduction I think it is a very plausible story. If you Google "Impressment" and/or "press gang", pressganged etc you can find out much info about what was happening around this time. William would have been about the right age for that to have happened during the Napoleonic Wars.

With Portsmouth being just across the Solent from the Island I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Press Gangs didn't go over to find more people.

http://www.welcometoportsmouth.co.uk/press%20gangs.html

The following are excerpts from "The Story of the Isle of Wight" by Edmond J HUNT to give an idea of the situation on the Island around the time of William's birth and childhood.

"The year, 1795 heard the note of war's alarm once more on the Island and this outpost of England was converted into an armed camp; for the great struggle with Napoleon had commenced and the fear of invasion was again upon the people of the Wight.".....

"During this anxious time many troops were quartered on the Island; Parkhurst Barracks contained its full complement"....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_1812

This could explain how he ended up in America :-\

Regard,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)