Author Topic: George Forrest 1888 Scotland Emigrated 10 Dec 1921 St John New Brunswick  (Read 5353 times)

Offline Sunshining

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am trying to find out what happened to my great grandfather George Forrest after he left Scotland bound for Canada.

Here is the information that I have:
George Forrest born Glespin, Lanarkshire 19/5/1888.
Parents: Alexander Forrest 2/10/1840 Biggar to 26/7/1919 Crieff Scotland and Agnes Watson 25/7/1844 Carnwath to 20/7/1917 Crieff.

George lived with his parents in Fowlis Wester near Crieff.
He married Joanna Nicolson Scotland Hutchison in 1914 but she died in 1919. They had two children Jane Nicolson Forrest born 1915 and Agnes Watson Forrest born 1917.
He re-married about 1920 to Jeannie (surname unknown)
He left Scotland on board the Pretorian date of sailing 10 Dec 1921. Stated occupation is Ploughman going to Canada to engage in Farm work. Destined to employer Mr John Gordon Sims? or perhaps Bins? of Morse? Saskatchewan travelling by the Canadian Pacific Railway.

George's brother-in-law was John Nicol (he was married to Jean Forrest) Their son David Nicol born 1895 in Crieff emigrated in September 1923 on the SS Marburn to Quebec then went by train to Windsor Ontario.
David worked in the US rubber company in Detroit before retiring to Windsor Onatrio. He was married to Elizabeth Wylie and had 4 children: John, Jessie, Ralph and Elizabeth.

I have been unable to find out what happened to George Forrest but did gain a lot of information from a publication called "A 19th Century Family Line by John Nicol", dated 1991 Calgary Alberta.
Any help would be most appreciated.
Thank you

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: George Forrest 1888 Scotland Emigrated 10 Dec 1921 St John New Brunswick
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 May 15 03:49 BST (UK) »
Scotlands People has a marriage for George Forrest, ploughman, widower, son of Alexander Forrest and Agnes Watson Weir marrying Jeanie Muir, dairymaid, spinster, daughter of James Muir and Elizabeth Watson on 16 Feb 1921 in Perth, Perthshire. It was a Warrant of Sheriff Substitute of Perthshire meaning it was a declaration of marriage in front of witnesses and not a church marriage. The witnesses to the declaration were David Nichol, pattern maker and Elizabeth Wyllie or Nichol (David's wife).

Unfortunately I wasn't able to find anything about the family after their arrival.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Sunshining

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 May 15 19:08 BST (UK) »
 :)Thank you very much for the information.
Each piece really helps and gives me another avenue to try.

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 16:35 BST (UK) »
...He left Scotland on board the Pretorian date of sailing 10 Dec 1921. Stated occupation is Ploughman going to Canada to engage in Farm work. Destined to employer Mr John Gordon Sims? or perhaps Bins? of Morse? Saskatchewan travelling by the Canadian Pacific Railway.

Looking at Jean/Jane's immigration paper:  Could the name have been John Gordon Ross?

Apparently, Mr. Ross had a career that included ranching and farming. 
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Sunshining

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 18:10 BST (UK) »
 :)Thank you I will add that to my info.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 22:34 BST (UK) »
There's a Scottish "Forrest" website,

http://daval57.tribalpages.com/

Skoosh.

Offline Sunshining

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thanks
I just tried to join and access was denied.
Never mind.

Offline jgnicol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 November 16 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Good morning kinsman/kinswoman. I was trolling the web and came across your inquiry about George Forrest; and was especially tickled to see a reference to my father John Nicol's family history. I am Jayne Guinn Nicol, the youngest of his three children.

I likely don't have much new information specific to your search; but I will glance sometime in my father's research notebook, and will let you know if I find something he didn't include in his book. Where-ever did you come across it? I only remember him sending copies to a few places.

I see that your post is rather old, so I can only hope this greeting reaches you. I am a resident of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada; but would love to communicate with you about your research. Until then,
Jayne Nicol (& clan)

Offline jgnicol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 November 16 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Good morning kinsman/kinswoman. I was trolling the web and came across your inquiry about George Forrest; and was especially tickled to see a reference to my father John Nicol's family history. I am Jayne Guinn Nicol, the youngest of his three children.

I likely don't have much new information specific to your search; but I will glance sometime in my father's research notebook, and will let you know if I find something he didn't include in his book. Where-ever did you come across it? I only remember him sending copies to a few places.

I see that your post is rather old, so I can only hope this greeting reaches you. I am a resident of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada; but would love to communicate with you about your research. Until then,
Jayne Nicol (& clan)