Author Topic: James Peachey - Burwell, Cambridgeshire - 1851 Census  (Read 5262 times)

Offline Deborah G

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Peachey - Burwell, Cambridgeshire - 1851 Census
« on: Sunday 17 May 15 07:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Could someone please tell me which Civil parish Burwell falls under in the 1851 Census? It is listed as a civil parish in the 1841 census but not so in 1851. I need to locate my Peachey relatives, James senior and James junior prior to their departure for New York and settling in Monroe County. I can locate them both in Burwell, 1841 census , (James junior is wrongly transcribed as James Deachrey), but can't find them in 1851. James junior (age 35), arrives New York, 12th April 1854 on the "New World" with two sons, James 11 and Henry 9. His wife Ann, (formerly Campbell) departs with the rest of the family on the " Albert Gallatin", arriving New York on the 9th August 1854. I can't find James senior in the shipping records - he would have left with wife Ann, formerly Laurence. It has been said he arrived New York some time between 1852 and 1854.
Any info would be appreciated,
Deb

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Peachey - Burwell, Cambridgeshire - 1851 Census
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 May 15 08:04 BST (UK) »
Is James Junior's son James 11 when he arrives in 1854 - as that cannot be the same James who is 1 on the 1841 census?

Added:
A tree on ancestry has these children - is this correct?
James J Peachey  1839
Henry Peachey  1841
Charles Peachey  1844
Noah Peachey   1845
Eliza Ann Peachey  1847
George Peachey  1850

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 May 15 08:28 BST (UK) »
I think it is missing

1851   Piece   1762   Cambridgeshire and Suffolk    
Parish: Ashley-cum-Silverley          Burwell            Exning           Landwade
        Newmarket             Reach            Snailwell             St Mary             Swaffham Prior

Offline Deborah G

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 May 15 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Yes that tree on Ancestry has the correct children.... as I said in my previous post, James Junior's wife went to New York on the "Albert Gallatin". Accompanying her were the rest of their children -
Charles 9, Noah 7, Elisa (Eliza) 5, George 4, Lewis (Levi) 2 and Frank 7 months. Another daughter, Marietta, was born in New York the following year. The family can be found on the 1860 US Federal census for Monroe, New York where James junior is a farmer. They are living next door to James' younger brother Thomas and his family

Getting back to the 1841 census for Burwell, I think that James "Deachrey" has to be my man. (Class: HO107; Piece: 73; Book: 2; Civil Parish: Burwell; County: Cambridgeshire; Enumeration District: 8; Folio: 9; Page: 13). Even though the ship manifest for the "New World" gives James' son James age as 11, I understand that ages can be incorrect. (James was born Newmarket, Sep quarter 1839, Vol 14, p106.)
I believe his father, James Peachey senior can be found a little further on in the same 1841 Census Burwell. (Class: HO107; Piece: 73; Book: 2; Civil Parish: Burwell; County: Cambridgeshire; Enumeration District: 8; Folio: 21; Page: 36). He and his wife Ann are both listed as age 50 and living with them are their two youngest children, William 15 and Thomas 10.

Chempat, if Burwell is missing from the 1851 Census, that would explain why I can't find them!

Deb

Offline anneb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 May 15 13:36 BST (UK) »
The cfhs shop doesn't have the 1851 census for Burwell although they do have 1841 and 1861 so it does look as if it is missing

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 May 15 13:38 BST (UK) »
Yes it would explain why they cannot be found.

I wondered if the child in 1841 had died, and another son born given the same name - but, as you have said, might just be ages incorrectly recorded.

Offline anneb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 May 15 14:25 BST (UK) »
The 1841 census is often inaccurate as to ages-they tended to round them up or down. On the other hand I'm not sure how accurate the ages on ships lists sometimes are. Some of my family emigrated in the 1870s and the ages given are all two or three years too young.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 May 15 15:15 BST (UK) »
In 1841 the instructions were that ages over 15 were to be rounded down to the nearest 5 below, so that age 20 covered an age range of 20 to 24, and 25 covered ages of 25 to 29.

But in the case of the Peacheys the parents were aged 23 and 21 so the enumerator failed to follow instructions and put actual ages rather than rounding down!
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 May 15 15:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Deb,

Just to confirm that the 1851 Burwell census is lost.
Unfortunately, this coincides with a large number of emigrations to the New York State area of USA from Burwell and surrounding areas (some of mine left at the same time from Burwell).
I can also confirm that there are no obvious burials in Burwell or surrounding parishes for James.
FWIW there are a number of trees on Anc that suggest James snr was in USA by 1855 and dies in 1860 in Genesee, New York State. Which is in the same general area of NYS that many of the ex-Burwell went to (Greece/Monroe County).

I did eventually find my ex-Burwell people via some online grave details for Greece, Monroe Co

Rob