Author Topic: Catherine Carr Details on Marriage Cert  (Read 2054 times)

Offline 1banshee

• RootsChat Extra
  • ~ I am the result of the love of thousands ~
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Carr Details on Marriage Cert
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 May 15 18:17 BST (UK) »
Well this has thrown me for a number of years tbh - on both marriage certs her fathers name is James Carr and James Kerr and her mothers name is Margaret Phillips on first cert and Ellen Phillips on the second - on her death certificate, (presumably they would have to rely on person reporting death for details), her father is now Thomas Carr, (that was her brothers name), and her mother is down as Helen Phillips - I have been told that the spelling was usually left to the registrar!  The only thing that links all the certificates is mention of Joseph O'Donnell, her first husband, which is why I'm pretty certain they are the same woman :)  Catherine Doran died on the 3rd November 1929 and on the certificate it states widowed 1st Joseph O'Donnell and 2nd John Doran.  Incidentally I must mention that I looked on Scotlands People and could not find a Joseph O'Donnell death, (he was a fireman in the merchant service).
Doran / Ward / Carr / Kerr / O'Kane / O'Connor / Goostrey / McLaughlin

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 May 15 20:56 BST (UK) »
on both marriage certs her fathers name is James Carr and James Kerr and her mothers name is Margaret Phillips on first cert and Ellen Phillips on the second - on her death certificate, her father is now Thomas Carr, (that was her brothers name), and her mother is  Helen Phillips -The only thing that links all the certificates is mention of Joseph O'Donnell, her first husband, which is why I'm pretty certain they are the same woman :)  Catherine Doran died on the 3rd November 1929 and on the certificate it states widowed 1st Joseph O'Donnell and 2nd John Doran. 

Have you checked if there is more than 1 marriage with a James Carr/Kerr ???

I can see why Ellen & Helen could be the same but Margaret................. ???

Do you have her parents marriage ???

Is it possible that James was 1st married to Margaret (possibly Ellen's sis or other relative) who may have died or they divorced & he was left with Catherine ???

Margaret may have been Catherine's mother but if James was widowed/divorced Catherine was possibly then brought up by 2nd wife Ellen  ???

Annie

ADDED.....Who registered her death, who were James' parents, when/where did Catherine marry James & when/where did she marry John Doran?
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 17 May 15 21:38 BST (UK) »
I did a quick search on SP...............no marriage for James Carr or Kerr to either Margaret or Catherine Phillips  ???

Annie

ADDED.......What year was she born circa (with ages given on both marriages & her age at time of death ?
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline 1banshee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 May 15 23:17 BST (UK) »
Catherine  married John Doran on 20 Oct 1886 and she was 24, she married her first husband Joseph O’Donnell in 1878 and was listed as being 17 and on her death certificate she was 65 on 3/11/1929, so as a guestimate, I’ve put her birth date somewhere between 1862 – 1865 - Her son Edward Doran registered the death.  Catherines father was deceased on both marriage certs, so he was a goner before 1878.  There is a brother called Thomas Kerr/Carr and I will have to double check but I think he got married in Scotstown, Co-Monaghan and there is a strong Irish connection with both families.  Just as a mention, Catherine also named her daughter Margaret and I know that the families were sticklers for following naming patterns, which you would have thought would have made it easier  :-\– her sister I think was also a Margaret.  I haven’t been able to find any parents for James Carr/Kerr, no birth, marriage or deaths for either James or Margaret or Ellen/Helen – Honestly this brick wall has driven me mad ha ha, and the John Doran she married is just as much an enigma!  ;D The other thing worth mentioning is that the Doran deviates between Dorran and Doran, but it is the same set of people.  I once found my g g grandma under the name Mary Arey?!?  Whilst searching for Mary Goostrey! ;D ;D

Offline 1banshee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 17 May 15 23:47 BST (UK) »
Another couple of things is that (1), on her daughters, (Margaret O'Donnells), marriage cert it has Catherine down as Doran, formally O'Donnell, m/s Kerr, on her husbands death certificate she is down as his Catherine Kerr and on her son's death certificate she is listed as Catherine Doran, formerly O'Donnell, m/s Carr - (2) The James Kerr was a Mason Journeyman as listed on the certs  ???