Author Topic: Who is this John? Is he mine?  (Read 2736 times)

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
Who is this John? Is he mine?
« on: Friday 08 July 05 11:47 BST (UK) »
Been searching for ages for my John Jones. The info I have on him is sparse, really only from one census and his marriage certificate.

The 1861 census for Ysbytty Ystwyth has him aged 9, the son of Thomas and Anne Jones. John’s place of birth was given as Ysbytty Yswyth. No cause to doubt this, as his brothers and sisters were all born there as well.

He married in Aberystwyth on 12th September 1873. His address at the time of marriage was Baker St. No occupation was given for him. However on the birth of his son in 1875 he was an innkeeper and at the birth of his daughters in 1876 and 1878 he was a grocer.

The first 2 children were born in Aberystwyth, the third (in 1878) in Llanelly ,Carms.

In 1881 the family, minus John are back in Aberystwyth, his wifes listed as a widow.

On his wifes death cert in 1912, she was given as widow of John Jones, a chemist.

John must have died between 1878 and 1881 in either Llanelly or Aberystwyth. I’ve not been able to trace his death yet, but I’m working on that.

So far, so good.

I’m trying to trace John in 1871. Entering the obvious search parameters of „John Jones, born Cardiganshire, 1850-1854“ turn up no suitable results. As mentioned above, his address in 1873 was Baker St, where he would have lodged, as his parents were still in Ysbytty. So I took a virtual walk down Baker St. in 1871.

There I found a John, aged 18, born Caron Upper, a scholar, living at his own schedule as a lodger. However the family he was lodging with was called Morgan, and Johns surname was given as Morgan. Is this an emuneration error? Was John really John Jones, but Morgan was entered as the rest of the family was of this name?

Can I, should I claim his as mine?

Opinions, suggestions as always, most welcome.

D ap D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
Re: Who is this John? Is he mine?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 July 05 17:45 BST (UK) »
Hi D
I sympathise with your dilemma.   I have all my Jones family marrying Jones's for the century 1799 to 1899, including my own particular John Jones.   Your John Jones if nothing else was versatile, scholar to unemployed to inkeeper to grocer and chemist.   
Baker Street seems to feature a lot (my g-mother, Elizabeth Jones married her Jones boy in Baker Street Chapel) and for me the final coincidence would be if John Jones married the daughter (Miss Morgan) of the house in Baker Street where he lodged as a student.   Don't say that happened!  Wouldn't be the first time in Aber though.   That would tip the scales for me.
Not much help I'm afraid but I guess at times you've got to go with the best bet, especially with John Jones.
Cheers Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 July 05 08:23 BST (UK) »
.... and for me the final coincidence would be if John Jones married the daughter (Miss Morgan) of the house in Baker Street where he lodged as a student.   Don't say that happened! 

Now as it happens... no he didn't. He married a young annuitant from around the corner.

Its not imperative that I know where he was in 1871, but I don't like loose ends, so want to tie this one up.

Ta anyway.

D
Stuck with:
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 July 05 15:48 BST (UK) »
Smart move on John's part.   Best of luck.
Cheers Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 July 05 08:54 BST (UK) »
I know. I was looking for one myself, but someone else came along.
Stuck with:
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 July 05 10:34 BST (UK) »
Another old story I can relate to.   When can I expect your Cardy marriage requests?

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 July 05 13:04 BST (UK) »
Stuck with:
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio