Author Topic: Identifying a skeleton!!! Dr Inch from Drayton near Toowoomba Qld about 1861?  (Read 16180 times)

Offline Andcarred

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Identifying a skeleton!!! Dr Inch from Drayton near Toowoomba Qld about 1861?
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 23 May 15 02:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that information Essie.   I have ordered this certificate as we need to know if there was more than one George Sydney Inch but unfortunately I don't think there will be any parents named on the certificate.   Time will tell if there are any other clues on it.

I have been told by another family member that she has some notes saying that George Inch died in 1881 in Queensland but she doesn't know where this came from and there is no death registration under that name on the Queensland Index.

Yes JM I am also wondering where to go next but as we have at least solved part of a family mystery and only just discovered the existence of George Inch after more than 20 years of research, I am overjoyed at the progress so far, thanks to all the help I have received on this forum and the wonderful Trove.   I am off on a week's holiday on Monday so I will not be able to answer any more posts for awhile.  If I haven't bored everyone to death on this subject I will let you know when I receive the results of the certificates.

With grateful thanks to all researchers,

Annie
Allwood-Birmingham-Australia
Collins-Dublin
North-Sweden
Vincent-Dewlish, Dorset
Austen-Lydd
Dewsbury-Sutton Bonnington, Notts
Wood-Leeds/Huddersfield, Yorks
Godden-Cornwall/London
Jackett-Cornwall

Offline PeeCeeBee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Identifying a skeleton!!! Dr Inch from Drayton near Toowoomba Qld about 1861?
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 26 May 15 03:14 BST (UK) »
What a fascinating read...

Can I bring your attention to Reply #24 by cupoflife, with a link to a death registration for George Sidney Inches, d. 1881.... aged 30 years...

May not be yours, but can be counted out (or in!)...

Look forward to an update.
PCB
Franklin - Mauritius
Zibell - Prussia, Australia
Frankham - Keynesham, London, Australia
Day - Minchihampton, GLS ENG
Folland - Barnstaple, DEV ENG
Pauley - Australia
Mewett - Australia

Offline Andcarred

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 28 May 15 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

I have now received the Death Certificate for George Sydney Inches who died in Rockhampton in 1881.   His cause of death was given as Abscess 20 hours?  There is no identifying information on the Certificate such as parents, children or marriage but a note in the margin which is extremely faded and hard to read but which says, in part, he was brought into Rockhampton Hospital unable to speak.  All the information on the DC was given by the Superintendent of the Hospital and he was buried the same day in Rockhampton Cemetery.   The age is also hard to read but I think it says 30, or maybe 38.  Although not conclusive proof due to lack of parents' names I am sure it is the correct man. 

The other George Sydney Inches who was killed by the falling tree in Maitland a few years previously is, I think, the son of Dr John Inches of Maitland and therefore a cousin of my George and they are nearly the same age.   There is also a distinct lack of information on his certificate and no parents names, marriage or children listed.  Obviously his cause of death was being hit on the head by the dead tree branch.  The inquest papers say he had told a witness he had relatives in Tamworth and this is where a son of the late Dr John Inches lived.  Again not positive proof but the best I think we are going to get.

This leaves our poor skeleton still unidentified but his death has led us to solved a family mystery for many curious relatives who were never told the truth about their great grandmother and the true identity of their grandfather.

Annie
Collins-Dublin
North-Sweden
Vincent-Dewlish, Dorset
Austen-Lydd
Godden-Cornwall/London
Jackett-Cornwall

Offline Inchline

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 11 December 15 02:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andcarred,

I am a direct descendant of R J Inch of Blackheath. He is Richard Jeffree Inch. He was, as others have supposed, born in St Austel, Cornwell and married to Harriet Blackford. He came to Australia with his parents Charles Inch and Eliza Jeffree, as a young man. He had one sibling, a brother David Jeffree Inch.  They came to Hill End and were gold miners along with a  clan of Jeffrees. I have no knowledge of any other Inch family at that time. They went into Cordial manufacture and Brewing at Hill End. Richard Jeffree Inch moved to Hartley and then the Blue Mountains at Lithgow and Blackheath.  At Lithgow he founded and operated Inch Brewery in Inch St, Lithgow. The building has since gone.

His brother David married Hanna Pattinson and had a son Richard Jeffree Inch, who went to the Boer War. On his return by troop ship he was badly sunburned and in delirium jumped over the side and was lost drowned. Coincidentally a chap contacted me about 4 years ago and informed that he had RJ Inch's (David's son) service medal that he bought at a flea market. It was traced by the number embedded in the edge.

Our subject RJ Inch also had a son Richard Jeffree Inch, who only recently passed away and with whom I had been in contact.

Our subject RJ Inch sold up in Australia, left his wife and family to follow him once he was established and began a coffee growing venture in partnership with another investor in present day Vanuatu. As the family were about travel by ship to reunite, they received word that he had died of Blackwater fever (malaria). His gravesite has never been located and the investment he took with him was never returned to the family. Hmmm???

All persons I have mentioned are accounted for as far as gravesites  except for RJ Inch my GGGrandfather as already described.

I do not know who this Dr Inch is but I am mightily intrigued.

I hope this information  may assist you and I hope to hear more if you find anything else.

Photographs of M Inch (actually RJ Inch, the M was part of Mr) and David Inch are to be found in the photograph section at NSW State Library online.

regards

Greg

Offline Andcarred

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 27 December 15 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Greg,

Sorry for the delay in replying and thank you for the information on the other Inch family.  The Inch line that I am following descended from 12 children born in Dunkeld, Scotland and this line has been extensively researched on Ancestry.  This family has scattered to many parts of the world and a few have stayed put in Scotland.   Mainly they are in Australia, Canada and England.  There does not appear to be any link with your Richard Jeffrey Inch but I will keep all this information in my file just in case.  It would be interesting to know the parents of your Charles and David Inch.

Thanks again,

Andcarred
Collins-Dublin
North-Sweden
Vincent-Dewlish, Dorset
Austen-Lydd
Godden-Cornwall/London
Jackett-Cornwall

Offline Stonegeko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 21 October 16 01:17 BST (UK) »
My name is Bob and I recently met with a third cousin who I had just found. A nice older guy who is not really comfortable discussing in a forum environment. He asked me if I could act as an intermediary, thus this post.

His request "Attempt to have the chap who posted an enquiry about a skeleton, on the RootsChat.com web system; contact me by E-mail. He mentions Drayton, Banana and Mary (although he name was Marianne) CRAMP. Marianne Cramp was first born daughter of John Cramp.  I think I can perhaps solve his puzzle and that he may be able to solve a question of mine."

I don't know if or how one makes private communication on this site, perhaps you can advise.

Regards
Bob.

Offline Johnf04

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 21 October 16 03:18 BST (UK) »
Once you make 3 posts - anything will do - you can send a private message to another member.
Farrell  - Ayrshire
Cairns - Ayrshire
McCann - Ayrshire
Brown - Ayrshire
Petty - Yorkshire, Durham
Lucas - Staffordshire, Durham
Whitaker - Yorkshire
Thackrah - Yorkshire
Stephenson - Durham
Marshall - Yorkshire
Walker - Staffordshire, Southland New Zealand
McCullough -  Antrim, Southland New Zealand,
Cavanagh - Galway, Southland New Zealand
Anthony - Tipperary, Southland New Zealand
Bath - Cornwall, Tasmania, Southland
Brungot - Alesund, Norway; Southland
Bonthron - Fifeshire, Southland

Offline bubs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 29 April 18 09:33 BST (UK) »
I believe there is an Inch St in Lithgow Nsw Maybe if you get in touch with some one in the Lithgow  you may be able to find out whom it was named after.