Author Topic: Jane Francis Hamilton Scott c 1854  (Read 2198 times)

Offline NormanE

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jane Francis Hamilton Scott c 1854
« on: Sunday 24 May 15 04:59 BST (UK) »
Seeking Help on an ancestor Jane Francis Hamilton Scott who from UK census records was born in 1854 at Ballina, Co. Mayo.
Family talk say she returned with her to be husband to be Arthur Norton after his visit to Ireland. They were married in Haswell Co. Durham in 1877.
Please can anyone help both with background on Jane and where I might look during and upcoming visit to Co. Mayo?
Thank you
NormanE

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Francis Hamilton Scott c 1854
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 May 15 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Norman,

A previous posting on this, answered the questions regarding details off her marriage in England....

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=396331.0

The name of her father given on her English marriage certificate is John Hamilton SCOTT,occupation Painter.

the only religious clues I have are that Jane married in a Church of England church at Haswell Northumberland and their first born son Hamilton Arthur 1878 became a C of E clergyman.

You would think then that it would be Church of Ireland  :-\
Just found a strong candidate here:
http://www.mayoancestors.com/default.aspx

I saw and downloaded the reference you gave me from BDM Ireland. Its a Methodist Christening at Killala which is about 6 miles from Ballina, Mayo. Father is John Scott(No Hamilton).
The website cited then by Heywood is no longer active - what was the name/details of the strong candidate?  Perhaps you could look into this one a bit more, if not already?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)