Author Topic: Islay Macdonalds  (Read 2780 times)

Offline Donnie Duvall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Islay Macdonalds
« on: Sunday 24 May 15 22:16 BST (UK) »
I would like to make contact with any Macdonalds of Islay descent who have had their Y-DNA tested.

I would particularly appreciate correspondence with any person who belongs to the Haplogroup R1a1a but does not appear to be a direct descendant of Somerled, progenitor of Clan Donald.

I'm from Lewis and would be fascinated to discover a genetic connection with the Macdonald heartland.

Many Thanks

Donnie Macdonald

Offline CaileanMac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Islay Macdonalds
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 June 15 15:00 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately I am one of those R1b MacDonalds (S-145), not one of the Norse incomers!  :P

If it's of any interest my ancestors were from Skye.
Gr-Gr-Gr Grandparents and relevant areas: MacDonald (Skye/Renfrewshire/Glasgow), Johnstone (Inverness/Ayr/Glasgow), MacPherson (Ross/Glasgow), Irvine (Ireland/Glasgow), Berrie (Dunkeld/Glasgow), Biggar (Paisley/Glasgow), Bradley (Ireland/Glasgow), McCorkindale (Argyll/Glasgow), Hardie (Ireland/Greenock), Scott (Greenock) , Kane (Ireland), Maguire (Ireland), McLarty (Argyll/Greenock), McLean (Argyll/Greenock), Petrie (Fife/Dundee/Greenock), Graham (Argyll/Greenock).

Offline kennymac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Islay Macdonalds
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 July 19 12:43 BST (UK) »
I, too, am an R1b MacDonald with an apparent Lewis origin, though of a very rare haplogroup for the north-west (L21>DF23>ZP77).  Most of my terminal haplogroup appear to be in the south-west of Scotland or Ireland, among the Uí Maine Kellies.  My more immediate roots would appear to lie in the island of Bernera, Lewis.