Author Topic: R.A.O.B  (Read 3454 times)

Offline rubyred

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
R.A.O.B
« on: Wednesday 27 May 15 10:20 BST (UK) »
Hi, My grandfather was a member of the 'Buffs' I assume based in Liverpool. Unfortunately I don't have a membership number for him other than he lived at 30 Dovey Street, Liverpool and died in 1936 aged 51. His headstone (situated in Allerton Cemetery) states 'R.A.O.B. Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes'.

It has been passed on down our family that he was a high ranking member of the Order and many people attended his funeral in Liverpool. I have tried many times to find information on him and I hope someone can help or guide me in the right direction to find this information.

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
Re: R.A.O.B
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 10:25 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Rubyred  ;D

Have you thought about contacting the organisation's website for info: -

http://www.raobgle.org.uk

best of luck  :)
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 10:31 BST (UK) »
Have you looked for an account of his funeral in the papers? If he was of importance within the Order, I would expect his death and funeral would have been reported.

Jebber
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 15:07 BST (UK) »
Hiya Rubyred and welcome to Rootschat .
Dovey Street is next to Admiral Street in the Dingle - now classed as Toxteth
so you need the Buffs Club for that area....I will be surprised if there are any in Toxteth .
We had 2 Buffs clubs here in Garston until about 15 years ago ...Garston is 4 miles from Dovey Street - I will ask the older members in the local pub here if anyone still has any contacts with the Buffs ...what was your Grandfathers name ??
 :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 06:48 BST (UK) »
Maybe not much help, but I know that brothers of the RAOB were called to the funeral of Arthur Llewhellin Gronow by his brother-in-law James Hubert Troop in Sep 1939. Both Arthur and James lived off Aigburth Road Dingle or Toxteth.
I would welcome to hear if you have success in finding out any further information on a Liverpool or Toxteth branch.

We have a very early photo of Arthur's grandfather George Manning Rees of Fishguard in early 1870's and he has a jacket with very wide lapels. Maybe he was a member of the Gwaun Lodge of RAOB Fishguard that was around in 1870 but once again, we are left without answers as well.
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline Mike Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 October 18 11:55 BST (UK) »
The RAOB club was a very short walk away from Dovey Street. It was one of the big old houses on Ullet Road near the junction with Alexander Drive. I recall going to christmas parties there with my Grandparents, so it was open late 60's and possibly early 70's at least. The building is still there although i cannot recollect exactly which one it was.

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 October 18 13:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you Mike.
Arthur Gronow lived in Alwyn Street. Looking at a map and your description of where the meeting house of the RAOB was, then we are talking of "just around the corner".
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline Mike Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 October 18 19:08 BST (UK) »
I double checked this today with a friend of mine a lot older than me. I was a few hundred yards out, Devonshire Road it was actually on. Just in case anyone else is looking for it and comes across this post.

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 October 18 20:31 BST (UK) »
Kelly’s 1968 directory has, at 36 Devonshire Road, “South Liverpool Buffalo Club and Institute.”