Author Topic: Burial plots Scotland before 1930 help needed  (Read 7287 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Burial plots Scotland before 1930 help needed
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 June 19 12:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much, when l spoke to the girl at Stranraer they said they only had them from 1930 but surely the previous years must be somewhere?
Not necessarily. They could have been lost or destroyed, assuming that they existed in the first place.

I remember a similar quest for records of burials in a particular kirkyard in Banffshire. I had to give up after being told (by the person in whose custody the records would now have been) that the minister in the had chucked the burial records books on a bonfire because he didn't think they would be any more use to anyone.

And there's a book for a kirkyard in Moray that doesn't record the names of people buried there as late as the 1940s.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline imchad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 22:53 BST (UK) »
Hi, I was once told by a retired undertaker that most of the old burial registers were in the hands of Solicitors. It seemed that the undertakers all knew who, so why not try a local undertaker.  Try http://www.alexmccleary.co.uk/ he is based in Newton Stewart.

Offline STODDIE

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 06 August 19 18:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you l will give it a go, much appreciated