Author Topic: Pubs in Cockermouth  (Read 9598 times)

Offline hiyamarra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Pubs in Cockermouth
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 June 15 11:36 BST (UK) »
Thats what was confusing me Stan, No 12 now doesn't look like it was ever a pub.
Thanks again
Keenan, McKenzie, Knowles, Berry, Gregg, Hutchinson, Allan, Strickland.

Offline hiyamarra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 June 15 12:05 BST (UK) »
Keyboard86
Thanks for your input, I hadn't tried searching that way before. II've just checked the 1881 census again and found the Harp Inn on the next page to the Cordwainers Arms where my G Grandfather was, but I can't work out where on St Helens Street they were. The 1871 census shows my GG Grandfather in a 'Beer House" does anyone know if Beer Houses had names, or was it simply a house that sold beer

Offline hiyamarra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 01 June 15 12:07 BST (UK) »
Just found this :-
A beer house was a type of drinking establishment created in the United Kingdom by the 1830 Beer house Act, legally defined as a place "where beer is sold to be consumed on the premises".[1] Public houses at the time were issued with licences by local magistrates under the terms of the Retail Brewers Act 1828, and were subject to police inspections at any time of the day or night.[2] The proprietors of beer houses on the other hand simply had to buy a licence from the government costing two guineas per annum,[3] equivalent to about £150 as of 2010.[a] Until the Wine and Beer house Act 1869 gave local magistrates the authority to renew beer house licences, the two classes of establishment were in direct competition.[4]

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 01 June 15 13:21 BST (UK) »
The Beer House Act 1830 allowed a householder, of reputable character, assessed to the poor rate, to retail beer and cider from his own house on payment of an annual fee to the Excise of 2 guineas. The purpose of this legislation was to popularise beer at the expense of spirits, which with wines, as well as beer, were sold by Publicans. This Act opened the floodgates to a spectacular proliferation of decidedly downmarket drinking-dens, most of them in the front rooms of terraced houses. The Act was repealed in 1869. The 1869 Wine and Beerhouse Act (32 and 33 Vic. c.27) re-introduced the stricter controls of the previous century. It was now necessary for retailers selling beer and wine to obtain their licenses from justices, and in addition, it was also necessary to obtain similar licenses to sell alcohol off the premises. The Intoxicating Liquor (licensing) Act 1872 re-enforced this legislation and importantly obliged the clerks of the licensing divisions to keep a register of all licenses granted. In general, the new licensing divisions constituted the areas formed by the Petty Sessional Divisions.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hiyamarra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 01 June 15 16:43 BST (UK) »
Thats a great explanation, thanks very much

Sorry to keep taking advantage of your knowledge Stan, but what does the term "assessed to the poor rate" mean

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 01 June 15 17:05 BST (UK) »
A 1601 Act empowered parish overseers to raise money for poor relief from the inhabitants of the parish, according to their ability to pay. The poor-rate was originally a form of local income tax, but over time evolved into the rating system — a property tax based on the value of real estate. In general, the poor-rate was paid by the tenant of a property rather than its owner.

Failure to pay the poor-rate would result in a summons to appear before a Justices of the Peace who could impose a fine or the seizure of property, or even prison.

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/

You can also read about "The Poor Rate Assessment and Collection Act, 1869" at  http://www.rootschat.com/links/0yqm/
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hiyamarra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 01 June 15 17:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Stan your a great help
Its interesting that my ancestors main family occupation for 4 generations was as "Wallers", "Builders" and "Masons" yet from 1861 to 1911 at some time or other they sold beer. I guess they were early working class entrepreneurs.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 01 June 15 17:35 BST (UK) »
Hi I see in 1901, Robert 61 occ Builder with wife Jane 47 are on the preceding page to Bowling Green Inn, at Nursery View, St Helens Street
Census ref RG13/4880/11/13
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hiyamarra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 01 June 15 17:47 BST (UK) »
Keyboard 86

Yes, thats my G Grandfather with his 2nd wife. Its interesting that is the first time i've seen for definite that the Bowling Green is No 12
My G Grandfather must have taken over sometime after 1901 and before 1911 until I don't know when. I'm going to check with the archives in Carlisle to see if they have any records of licences granted
Thanks