Author Topic: Sykes Family - Higham Ferrers/Rushden  (Read 5170 times)

Offline KEOS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sykes Family - Higham Ferrers/Rushden
« on: Monday 01 June 15 15:17 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've been doing a bit of research into the Sykes branch of my family tree and so far I've traced them back to Higham Ferrers/Rushden, Northamptonshire, in the mid/late 1700s. I'd love to trace them back even further if possible.

The earliest Sykes' I've been able to trace are John and Fanny Sykes (perhaps nee Fisher though not sure of this). I don't have a birth date for either of them but I have found a record of a John Sykes being buried in Rushden in 1796. However, I know there was another John Sykes (married to a Francis Sykes) in the village at a similar time so the burial may have been his.

I found a marriage between a John Sykes/Sikes and Fanny Fisher in Bromham, Bedfordshire in 1773.  I also have baptism and burial records of a number of their children in Rushden.
Alice Sykes - ?-1784
Fanny Sykes - 1780-1784
Sarah Sykes - 1782-1853
Fanny Sykes - 1784-1791
Thomas Sykes - 1784-1784
Betse Sykes - 1786-1791
Abraham Sykes - 1787-1787
Hannah Sykes - 1788-?
Thomas Sykes - 1791-1872 (my ancestor)

Is anyone able to trace back John Sykes' line any further? I know I'm pushing my luck a bit here since records start getting a bit hazy this far back, but I thought I'd ask just in case anyone can help me!  :)

Thanks!
Northants - (Rushden/Higham Ferrers) - Sykes, Knowles
                 (Walton/Woodnewton/Kingscliffe) - Culpin
                 (Peterborough) - Sykes, Skinner
                 (Polebrook) - Jinks
Cambs - (Farcet) - Jinks
Devon - (Totnes) -Skinner
Hunts - (Stanground) - Steels
Herts- (Royston) - Watson
Ireland -  (Waterford) - O'Neill, Dillon

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: Sykes Family - Higham Ferrers/Rushden
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 June 15 16:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Welcome to RootsChat.
Source: Northamptonshire Family History Society
St Mary the Virgin, Higham Ferrers, Northamptonshire, Burials:-
13/01/1775, SYKES, Sarah
13/01/1775, SYKES, Thomas
25/07/1777, SYKES, Eliz
03/06/1781, SYKES, Ann
19/05/1784, SYKES, Alice
27/09/1784, SYKES, Thomas
01/06/1785, SYKES, Thomas
26/06/1787, SYKES, Abraham
13/03/1791, SYKES, Betsey
19/03/1791, SYKES, Fanny
01/07/1796, SYKES, John

Thomas SYKES was buried at St Mary, Rushden, Northamptonshire, 15th December 1872, aged 79

Hope that helps.
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline KEOS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 June 15 17:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Victor,

Thanks for your help! I believe the top four names on your list are the children of John and Francis Sykes who lived in the village at the same time as my relatives John and Fanny Sykes. I'm not sure if I'm related to John and Francis in some way but considering how small the village was I'm sure there must be some connection! Unfortunately I don't know how I could find that out. I'm also interested in finding out who the parents of John Sykes (the one married to Fanny) were. Did you come across any records on that?

Thanks again :)
                 (Polebrook) - Jinks
Cambs - (Farcet) - Jinks

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 June 15 18:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Sorry, but I only have burial data on a CD. Good hunting!
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 June 15 19:30 BST (UK) »
Thomas Sykes - 1791-1872 who Married Martha Knowles 11 June 1812 St Mary the Virgin Higham Ferrers Northamps?

Parents:
John Sykes (1752-1796) m Frances ? ( 1742-1826)

Potential Grandparents
John Sykes m Elizabeth ?

Potential Great Grandparents
Philip Sykes m Mary Bayes
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline KEOS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 June 15 20:14 BST (UK) »
Hi iluleah,

Yes that the right Thomas Sykes, married to Martha Knowles. When I looked on the Rushden St Mary the Virgin Parish Records I had his parents as John and Fanny Sykes. Did you find a link to Frances instead? Or could they be the same person with the name shortened?

That's great that you found a link to some potential grandparents and great-grandparents! I had come across a Phillip Sykes from Nether Dean (Bedfordshire) who married Mary Bayes in Rushden in 1723, but I wasn't sure how to connect him to John Sykes. But your John Sykes Snr and Elizabeth could be the link. I also found a record of a Mary Sykes (widow) being buried in 1740 so I thought she might be Mary Bayes.

(Polebrook) - Jinks
Cambs - (Farcet) - Jinks

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 June 15 20:32 BST (UK) »
Hi iluleah,

Yes that the right Thomas Sykes, married to Martha Knowles. When I looked on the Rushden St Mary the Virgin Parish Records I had his parents as John and Fanny Sykes. Did you find a link to Frances instead? Or could they be the same person with the name shortened?

That's great that you found a link to some potential grandparents and great-grandparents! I had come across a Phillip Sykes from Nether Dean (Bedfordshire) who married Mary Bayes in Rushden in 1723, but I wasn't sure how to connect him to John Sykes. But your John Sykes Snr and Elizabeth could be the link. I also found a record of a Mary Sykes (widow) being buried in 1740 so I thought she might be Mary Bayes.

I think Frances / Fanny ( and John ) are one of the same, unless you have found records that show two separate couples living at the same time?

John bap 31 Mar 1752 St Peters Street United Brethern / Moravian,Bedford
..so marriage in 1773
1st child Mary born 1774
2nd/3rd  twins Thomas and Sarah, born 1775, died 2 days old

another set of twins 10th/11th Thomas and Fanny born 1784 makes me think fanny/ Frances & John are the same couple
If so........ Your Thomas is child 16th

Also on some of the children's baptisms it says Fanny and on their burial Frances or the other way around
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston

Offline KEOS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 June 15 20:42 BST (UK) »
16th child! That's incredible! Thanks for your help iluleah, I really appreciate it :)
                 (Polebrook) - Jinks
Cambs - (Farcet) - Jinks

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 June 15 20:57 BST (UK) »
10 potentially 11 died in childhood.

Which of Thomas's and Martha's children is your line?