Author Topic: Sykes Family - Higham Ferrers/Rushden  (Read 5171 times)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Sykes Family - Higham Ferrers/Rushden
« Reply #18 on: Friday 01 April 16 00:29 BST (UK) »
You need to get off the websites and start researching parish records in the archives/records offices especially if you are locally based you will find and confirm far more.

Ancestry is great BUT it isn't the be all and end all and certainly others trees, do be careful not to get drawn into what others think especially without any record proof as most do not have that.

If you are not locally based then look up  your local LDS centre and order the parish records via them.

My guess, like yours is yes the Sykes are related in some way they tended to have large families looking at my direct lines going back and many seemed to stay within Northamps/Rutland/Bedford/Leicester areas.

Don't be shocked at anything you find, just make sure you prove everything you do find.

My parents lived in two separate counties only met because my dad was stationed in my mums county when he was in the RAF, so what I found I certainly didn't expect as both paternal and maternal families were well established in their counties so my expectations were their ancestors going back generations would be too... yet only 4 generation before their families lived 2 miles from each other and like you my direct x? great grandparents met and married have the same surnames as my parents.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Les Sykes

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sykes Family - Higham Ferrers/Rushden
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 14 May 17 22:16 BST (UK) »
I have a John Sykes who was married to Elizabeth Wade who was born ? in Evenley. Been checking other Family Trees and has John being born in Bedfordshire. Hope to contact Northamptonshire Family History Society to find out more as I live in Yorkshire. Can anyone help me please.