Author Topic: Windows 10 arrives July!  (Read 42373 times)

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Windows 10 arrives July!
« on: Monday 01 June 15 15:37 BST (UK) »
http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwin...le-on-july-29/
So are we all updating to new operating system?
Free to Windows 7/8 and 8.1 for 12months from release date.
My 2 personal machines will be updated, if o'k my wife will be updated also.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 arrives July!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 June 15 15:40 BST (UK) »
..., if o'k my wife will be updated also.

Do you have a new model in mind?

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 June 15 15:40 BST (UK) »
Reckon I'll let others find all the bugs first, then may update in about a year?! ;D ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 June 15 15:43 BST (UK) »
I have, just this morning, got a "Get Windows 10" notification on my bottom toolbar.

Regards

Malky

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 June 15 16:23 BST (UK) »
As did I flattybasher

Have I just sold my soul?
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 June 15 16:35 BST (UK) »
Reckon I'll let others find all the bugs first, then may update in about a year?! ;D ;D

Wndows 10 is probably the first operating system from Microsoft that has already been bug tested by users. Technical Previews have been available for some time and information fed back to Microsoft who actually respond - it appears that they may be determined to get this one right.

Offline Roger The Hat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 June 15 16:53 BST (UK) »
My priority for any operating system is that it runs the software I want to put on it - I'm not going to spend hundreds on new software just so I can say I've got the latest OS!
I'm still using XP quite happily on my p.c., and there's no real reason to change that.
 ;)
I'm quite open to giving Win'10 a go, but only if it doesn't cause problems with my presently functioning system on the laptop.
 :-\ ;)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 June 15 17:01 BST (UK) »
I have to say I agree with Roger the Hat, I would like to keep using the software I am currently using without having to renew it all because it doesn't work with Windows 10.  Been caught out that way before.

Kerryb
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 June 15 17:27 BST (UK) »
I have to say I agree with Roger the Hat, I would like to keep using the software I am currently using without having to renew it all because it doesn't work with Windows 10.  Been caught out that way before.

Kerryb

If your software ran in Windows 7 then it will run perfectly well in Windows 10.

In use W10 has shown a greater tolerance for older software than Windows 8 e.g. Microsoft Office 2000 - wouldn't install on W8 but runs perfectly happily on W10. (I prefer it to the Office 365 installed on my W8 machine)

One of the old problems when upgrading Windows versions was that often hardware such as printers etc were left behind but with Windows 10 this has been largely overcome - again possibly due to the users feedback during the technical preview period.

As regards changing from XP to any later version of Windows - the problems come due to switching from a 32 bit memory structure to 64 bit systems but I've never believed in change simply for the sake of change or to keep up with the neighbours. If the machine does what you want and in the way that you want it done why change ?