Author Topic: Which genealogy subscription? Ancestry, FindMyPast, The Genealogist  (Read 18344 times)

Offline Elizajb

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Which genealogy subscription? Ancestry, FindMyPast, The Genealogist
« Reply #9 on: Friday 31 July 15 11:36 BST (UK) »
Can't help but add my own experience here.

I've had a Gold subscription to The Genealogist on and off, mainly because I wanted to access the Non-Conformist records at the time. However, I almost never found any other records on the site which added anything new to my research, even if I tried to find records I already knew I had from Ancestry or FindMyPast just to check (except census records which I can get in lots of places anyway).

I decided therefore that perhaps I needed to buy the full Diamond subscription in order to have a fair go at finding additional information but was very disappointed with it and wished I hadn't bothered. I've seen a few reviews of The Genealogist in family history magazines etc which are very complimentary but I found it difficult to find what I might want, quite frustrating to use and not intuitive.

I wouldn't personally buy a sub to this site again once mine runs out, yet have found 100s of pieces of info on Ancestry and FindMyPast (which I use less since they upgraded to the new format). All in all, I just found The Genealogist to be hard work. Maybe my brain is just not wired in the same way as theirs, not sure. There do seem to be plenty of people who love this site, but not me and I feel I've wasted my money.

Regards Eliza.
BLANCH London, Kent, Cumberland, Sunderland WALTON Cumberland, WILSON Cumberland, New Zealand, GRAHAM Cumbria/USA,  DUNN Woolwich Kent, BLAKE Northumberland HENDERSON Renfrewshire PATERSON Argyllshire HALLAM Surrey BYRNE Dublin, BURNS Glasgow, DENSTON/BARBER Staff., WADMAN Somerset, DALE Middlesex, AIMERS Selkirkshire, BORTHWICK Berwickshire

Online alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 31 July 15 11:56 BST (UK) »
I note The Genealogist has added Jewish records very recently.  As far as I know, I have no Jewish ancestors, so I haven't investigated this, but I don't think Jewish records are generally easily available elsewhere.
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 31 July 15 12:30 BST (UK) »
I note The Genealogist has added Jewish records very recently.  As far as I know, I have no Jewish ancestors, so I haven't investigated this, but I don't think Jewish records are generally easily available elsewhere.
This has had a somewhat inflated press. The Jewish records in question currently consist of digitised extracts from the United Synagogue's lists of seatholders in London synagogues for the period 1920-1939. They are of limited interest to those doing in-depth research into Jewish ancestors, relatively few of whom will feature in this database.

https://www.thegenealogist.co.uk/news/

Offline Connie Sparrow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 31 July 15 12:40 BST (UK) »
Can't help but add my own experience here.
8><

I decided therefore that perhaps I needed to buy the full Diamond subscription in order to have a fair go at finding additional information but was very disappointed with it and wished I hadn't bothered. I've seen a few reviews of The Genealogist in family history magazines etc which are very complimentary but I found it difficult to find what I might want, quite frustrating to use and not intuitive.

8><

I've just taken out a 3-month Gold free trial and found some useful things and a few surprises. I will probably upgrade to Diamond in October.

Their search engine works very differently to either Ancestry's or FindMyPast's especially with the censuses but since I can get them via Ancestry, it isn't a problem. BMDs I get either via FreeBMD or Ancestry so again, not a problem.

One thing they do have which is of interest to me are the Tithe Apportionments. There are some other datasets of interest to.

As with any site, they won't have everything a researcher wants and each researchers needs will differ.

Offline Connie Sparrow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 31 July 15 12:42 BST (UK) »

They would probably be of interest to be because I have both do have Jewish ancestors.

Offline Connie Sparrow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 31 July 15 12:45 BST (UK) »
This has had a somewhat inflated press. The Jewish records in question currently consist of digitised extracts from the United Synagogue's lists of seatholders in London synagogues for the period 1920-1939. They are of limited interest to those doing in-depth research into Jewish ancestors, relatively few of whom will feature in this database.

I agree probably of limited use but when one of your Jewish families is MONTEFIORE ....... :)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 31 July 15 12:54 BST (UK) »

I agree probably of limited use but when one of your Jewish families is MONTEFIORE ....... :)

As stated above, the records are from the United Synagogue, so perhaps of less interest to descendants of MONTEFIORE, who were Sephardi in origin.  ;)

Offline Connie Sparrow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 31 July 15 13:07 BST (UK) »

As stated above, the records are from the United Synagogue, so perhaps of less interest to descendants of MONTEFIORE, who were Sephardi in origin.  ;)

I've also Ashenazic :)

I don't do things by halves  :D

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 10 December 18 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello

This thread came up and I have just tried JewishGen.org out of curiosity, when a search revealed some Hood results.

The initial standard sign-in was free.

I have not looked seriously yet at the list of results, but it seems a few Hoods back into the 18th Century have possibly married into a Jewish family.

----------

The reason for my interest was that Jews and Quakers had exemption under Hardwicke's Marriage Act of 1753 An Act for the Better Preventing of Clandestine Marriage, from marrying in a Parish Church.

Although my mystery ancestor George Hood married in the Parish Church 1815 (after two months notice in effect, by Licence, so it was not a quickie marriage), he was buried by the Quakers as "Not in Membership" in 1845. The 1836 Quaker Minutes of the York Meeting (now at Leeds Brotherton / Parkinson Bldg) confirm my mystery ancestor had applied to be a Quaker, but been refused after several reviews of his application.

The Quakers also went on to bury his adult unmarried children and later his Widow all as "Not in Membership" (although their children and his Widow were baptised C of E). A letter of 1945 claims the family were divided, leading me to think my family were religiously divided. Two other Sons went on to become Quakers and had Quaker burials.

Although the descendants of the two HOOD of Selby families (John Hood, Mariner, buried Selby 1819 & George Hood, Cooper, Brewer & Tanner, buried Selby 1845) which there is NO documentary link, have both married into descendants of the same GRUBB family.

I recall as a boy discussions about Quaker businesses, (Yorkshire Deed Registrations mention my mystery ancestor and one of the Quaker surnames mentioned). Also Stephenson, the places of Beverley and Snaith, the Fleur de Lis symbol, some well known battles, Bonnie Prince Charlie, * also James I & James VI etc., were all mentioned too.

* My Grandfather was killed in an air crash and my Grandmother remarried a Scotsman of a Clan and I really wished I knew if she was recalling some of her second Husband's history as well.

It was also mentioned previously our ancestors allegiance and respect was toward the Crown. My Father believes us to be Scottish, but doesn't know why.

Thread: I'd Be Most Interested in Family Historian Comments re Tree Diagram?
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=804155.msg6623371#msg6623371
(Information from Registers & Marriages on FindMyPast and 1906 Marriage from GRO)

Nothing online will provide a definite link between John Hood of Selby (bur.1819, aged 82 years) and George Hood of Selby (bur.1845, aged 60 years), nor any other Hood. My view is that only searching for and seeing records in Archives, will only provide an answer.

I'm left with a real conundrum!

Mark