Author Topic: Look-up please Aberdare 1881-Charles Taylor, 22 undergardener born Wareham  (Read 3462 times)

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Look-up please Aberdare 1881-Charles Taylor, 22 undergardener born Wareham
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 June 15 14:02 BST (UK) »
Deidre

George Elliot born 18 March 1814, died 23 December 1893

In 1882 he purchased land in Aberamman as a gift in memory of his wife and daughter Elizabeth. Work commenced on the construction of St Margaret’s Church and it was completed in 1883.  Having said that with his political interests and his global businesses ther are reports of him travelling a lot.  He was also the owner of more than one family home so it is likely he only stayed at Aberaman House when in Wales.     

Roy
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 June 15 03:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Roy, sorry but I can't find him on the 1881 census anywhere  :(
Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 June 15 11:20 BST (UK) »
Deidre

George Elliot born 18 March 1814, died 23 December 1893

In 1882 he purchased land in Aberamman as a gift in memory of his wife and daughter Elizabeth. Work commenced on the construction of St Margaret’s Church and it was completed in 1883.  Having said that with his political interests and his global businesses ther are reports of him travelling a lot.  He was also the owner of more than one family home so it is likely he only stayed at Aberaman House when in Wales.     

Roy

Is this the same person Sir George Elliot died 23/12/1893 17, Portland Place other addresses 16.Great George Street Middlesex and Friars Newport

Wife died 14/12/1880 at 1,Park Street Park Lane Middlesex both on the probate record ?

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 04 June 15 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie
Yes, that's the man, he really did get about; I read yesterday apart from the coal mines in Aberdare and the Rhymney Valley he also had mines in Canada.  His business was truly global so it is no wonder he is hard to find in 1881, he could have been out of the country.
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 04 June 15 19:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Roy your right George is hard to find ... 1882 he was living 6.Castletown Road South Kensington S W