Author Topic: McNalty in Lochgelly or Kirkcaldy.  (Read 2230 times)

Offline Patches

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
McNalty in Lochgelly or Kirkcaldy.
« on: Tuesday 02 June 15 22:12 BST (UK) »
Thought I'd have another shout for this one, trying to find Birth for John Patten McNalty and info on his parents.

John Patten McNalty born 1859
Army discharge papers say born in the parish of Lochgelly near Kirkcaldy Fife.  He attested at Edinburgh on 9 July 1879 for the Royal Engineers age 20 years.  He died in 1892 in Rochester, Kent and his occupation is Stonemason.

His marriage cert in 1887 says 27 years old and fathers name is Alexander McNalty whose occupation was gardener.

I have tried every site possible to find his birth and had no luck.

I would be grateful for any time you can give but please don't spend to much time on him cos I think he's one of those that wants to remain hidden for a while, its been 10 years since I first posted about him and have found nothing since them.

Thank you

Thanks

Patches
Kent - Jones, Wigley, Rigden, Philpott, Perry, Irwin, Booker, Durling, Saker, Venner, Nutting, Giles, McNalty, Burley, Crowhurst, Ford & Roots,
Sussex - Badcock,  Barden, Barham, Bridger, Carey, Courthope, Crampton, Ford, Wright, Dadswell, Okill, Elliott, Hepden, Jarrett, Foster, Marchant, Selmes and Warnett
Fife/Mayo - McNalty
Bucks - Folley & Spufford

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: McNalty in Lochgelly or Kirkcaldy.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 22:47 BST (UK) »
I have had the same problem with my gr.grandfather. His records all stated born in Edinburgh. If it wasn't for the fact we knew they were from Dysart and I knew all the parents names I would not have found his earliest census record. The census said born in Leven. I still have no birth certificate.

I suggest searching the Scottish census for Alexander and John living together in Fife from 1861, 1871, 1881 on Scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 22:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Patches,

Is it possible he was born with surname Patten & maybe brought up by a step-father by the name McNalty which he adopted/used  ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 22:52 BST (UK) »
It is also possible that he was illegitimate (McNalty) & brought up by his grandparents...........grandfather being Alexander.

You may find a daughter on a census who was old enough by the time John was born to have been his mother  ???

Annie

ADDED..........Have you also tried variations of the surname McNalty/McNulty/McNolty etc.  ???

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 23:42 BST (UK) »
Familysearch have a John Mcinolty born in Auchterderran. ( which would be the reg district for Lochgelly) in March 1859. Parents Anthony McInolty and Margaret Linch. They appear to have had another child, Patrick, born in 1855. If you could locate his birth certificate it would give you a lot of information regarding his parents as that was the first year of civil reg in Scotland and there was a lot of extra information included.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 June 15 08:41 BST (UK) »
The family are in Edinburgh in 1861 transcribed as Mckenalty. Anthony's occupation is garden labourer.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Patches

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 June 15 17:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you all so much

Isobel, the family found does look like the strongest possibility, I will have to look at it later, looks like it means Scotlandspeople and lots of pennies, but it'll be worth it to know for sure.

btw, just checked is Army papers which say he attested in Edinburgh 9 July 1879 age 20+3mths which would make his birth pretty close for the birth you found  :)

Thanks again
Kent - Jones, Wigley, Rigden, Philpott, Perry, Irwin, Booker, Durling, Saker, Venner, Nutting, Giles, McNalty, Burley, Crowhurst, Ford & Roots,
Sussex - Badcock,  Barden, Barham, Bridger, Carey, Courthope, Crampton, Ford, Wright, Dadswell, Okill, Elliott, Hepden, Jarrett, Foster, Marchant, Selmes and Warnett
Fife/Mayo - McNalty

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 June 15 18:19 BST (UK) »
looks like it means Scotlandspeople and lots of pennies.

Good work Isobel  :o

Patches,

I don't envy your task finding them.................poor man has a different surname for every record  ;D I have an ancestor the same but that's the fun part of genealogy as some people stick rigid to their belief of how a name was spelt & are adamant but the wider picture does bring up some fascinating things as you can see  :P

Now that Isobel has given you leads it will be a lot less expensive on SP. That's where knowing the area they were in helps a lot.

When searching you can either use the "soundex" or "variants" button to bring up different spellings as the ones Isobel found might not quite match the ones on SP  ???

Annie

Offline Patches

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 June 15 21:09 BST (UK) »
So:

1891 census says
Registration district:   St Giles   Civil Parish:   Edinburgh New Greyfriars  County:   Midlothian
Address:   12 Grassmarket Brown's Close
Anthony McKenalty   45   born Ireland    Garden Labourer
Margaret McKenalty   40     "       "
Mary McKenalty   12             "    Fifeshire
John McKenalty   2               "         "
Thomas McKenalty   10     "         "
Patrick McKenalty   5       "         "

Birth from Scotpeeps:
John McInolty  born 19 Mar 1859 in Lochgelly to Anthony McInolty (ag lab) and Margaret Linch

Also from Scotpeeps:
John McInolty born 24 Mar 1858 in Lochgelly to John McInolty (ag lab) and Margaret Kelly

I believe the John 1859 one is mine as date fits the best.
Anthony and John are brothers???
Not sure why fathers name on John 1859's marriage cert was given as Alexander???
A quick search on ancestry and other free sites for as many variations I can think has turned up not much. 
I did pay for the original docs of the above just so I could check out the handwriting for spellings of surnames, they are as transcribed.  £7 gone as the census (just my luck) was spread over 2 pages (7 credits left), Scotpeeps really take the biscuit!!!

I have a bit of a headache now! so will ponder this one when I have more time. 

Thanks for all your help and thoughts

Patches
Fife/Mayo - McNalty