Author Topic: Help needed census records William Mainwaring  (Read 3427 times)

Offline jason 20

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help needed census records William Mainwaring
« on: Friday 05 June 15 14:19 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon, i am currently doing a colleagues family tree and have traced the family back to his x2 great grandparents, however i appear to be struggling a little finding him in anything before 1891.
the details i have are as follows

William Mainwaring born c 1861 married Margaret ??? in 1882

I have the couple in 1911 living in  Llansamlet and William lists his birth place as Morriston
I located them again in 1901 still living in the same place but this time William gives his birth place as Llangyfelach which looking at maps is just down the road from Morriston. and finally in 1891 he is back as born in Morriston. I can't seem to find him in 1881 or any parish records on the IGI for that matter. I hope someone can help. Many thanks

Jason 

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed census records
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 June 15 14:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

A possible marriage from FreeBMD;

William Mainwaring   JunQ 1883    Swansea 11a  1005    (possible bride Margaret Roberts)

What was his occupation?  Could he have been away from home (mariner/soldier etc.) in 1881?

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jason 20

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 June 15 14:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks Nanny Jan, i think that's the most possible marriage. As for occupation

1911 - Tin Plate Worker
1901 - Tin Plate Furnace Man
1891 - Tin Plate Worker

:(

Jason

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 June 15 15:13 BST (UK) »

if your colleague is happy to spend £9.25 to buy a copy of the marriage certificate, it should show the name and occupation of William's father which might help you find him on earlier census records.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jason 20

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 June 15 15:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Nanny Jan, that was my last resort, it's most frustrating when you get stuck on 1881, 1871. it's normally earlier when records can be a little sketchy. I shall keep looking but i fear you may be correct about ordering the cert. It may be the only way to go.

Many thanks

Jason

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 June 15 17:03 BST (UK) »
Maybe?

1861 census; Class: RG9; Piece: 4100; Folio: 26; Page: 16
Carmarthen Road, Llangefelach, Swansea

Mainwaring, William  Head  M  27  Carpenter  b Carmarthenshire
Mainwaring, Elizabeth  Wife  F  30  b Gower
Mainwaring, John  Son  M  2  b Swansea
Mainwaring, William  Son  M  5 months  b Swansea
+ boarder and servant
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline jason 20

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 09:39 BST (UK) »
Hi all, i've finally obtained a copy of Williams marriage certificate, it states that

William Mainwaring age 22, a bachelor married Margaret Roberts in 1883, his father was Edward Mainwaring a Joiner.

Does this help ? i still can't seem to find the family in a census record

Regards

Jason

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 09:59 BST (UK) »
There's an 1871 census entry for William Mainwaring, born 1857 Carmarthenshire, with a father Edward?

I can't see any details, because I no longer have a sub to Ancestry or FindMyPast!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed census records William Mainwaring
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 September 15 14:30 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon, i am currently doing a colleagues family tree and have traced the family back to his x2 great grandparents, however i appear to be struggling a little finding him in anything before 1891.
the details i have are as follows

William Mainwaring born c 1861 married Margaret ??? in 1882

I have the couple in 1911 living in  Llansamlet and William lists his birth place as Morriston
I located them again in 1901 still living in the same place but this time William gives his birth place as Llangyfelach which looking at maps is just down the road from Morriston. and finally in 1891 he is back as born in Morriston. I can't seem to find him in 1881 or any parish records on the IGI for that matter. I hope someone can help. Many thanks

Jason

Hi Jason,
a few things with Morriston and Llangyfelach and also the large parish of Llansamlet. The Parish of Llangyfelach covered a huge area (the same with Llansamlet), and covered Morriston and Clase.
Reading your post, I had a gut feeling that I'd find them listed under what was also considered  Clase. (Clase covers a much smaller area today). I have a few rellies that were listed under rural Clase ,which is nowhere near Clase. Clase covered a huge area.

When searching for this family - widen your net, boundaries change,
When he says he is born in Morriston and Llangyfelach he is not changing his birth place. He was born in the Morriston  area in the parish of Llangyfelach.

His birth would be under Swansea in the BMD's. His baptism may not exist, he could be a non conformist. There is a very high proportion of non conformists  such as Welsh Baptists in Wales, many of my own included. You may have to rely on marriage and burial/grave records. His baptism if exists , should be under Llangyfelach if he's been baptised around the area that he is living throughout the census, but also look at surrounding parishes. (On a side note, I have found that a high proportion of my lines from around Llangyfelach are non conformists for some odd reason, more so than my lot from other parishes around Glamorgan, odd, which is totally irrelevant and coincidence of course- I'm just thinking aloud ;D)

1871 census for him  he is in Clydach rd listed under MANwaring:
not too far from where your William was living in Neath Road in later censuses.
Ed Manwaring occupation Joiner born Llangyfelach about 1831
Ann (wife)  born about 1838

His children in the 1871:
 Hannah Manwaring  age 14
 John Manwaring  age 12
 William Manwaring age  9 (abt 1862)
 Ed Manwaring  age 5
 Mary A Manwaring age  2

Civil Parish Llangyfelach
Clase Higher
Glamorgan
Reg district Swansea
Piece:5447 ,Folio36  Page Number15

Hope that helps, he should be bit easier for you to trace with both of his parents and siblings names now
Kind Regards :)

Ps, I forgot to say that there maybe family next door to your Edward as well , there is an Elias Mainwaring, son to the Jones in the shop,, I guess the mother who is a widow ( the shop keeper)has remarried a Jones at some point and maybe her first husband was Mainwaring  occupation of Elias is  tin plate something

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u