Author Topic: Death of Sandra and Rafael Urdaneta, 1991 in California  (Read 2037 times)

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Death of Sandra and Rafael Urdaneta, 1991 in California
« on: Saturday 06 June 15 02:12 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any newspaper account of the death of Sandra Urdaneta on 3/4 July 1991 in Santa Barbara, California.  This is listed online as a shooting death and her husband, Rafael Urdaneta, also died that day so he was probably involved in the same incident.  She was born Sandra Leeds Kerr in Orange County, California in 1945; Rafael was born 1938 in Germany.

http://earonsgsk.proboards.com/thread/789/1972-goleta-beach-night-murder?page=3
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Sandra and Rafael Urdaneta, 1991 in California
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 June 15 04:46 BST (UK) »
I've not found anything yet.  I've been searching the archives for the LA Times
http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/latimes/advancedsearch.html

Providing the article would have been in the LA Times:
it may not state their names
they may have passed away a couple/few days after the incident
the incident could have occurred in a different city that Santa Barbara and they could have passed away in Santa Barbara

Will continue to have a look.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 June 15 05:05 BST (UK) »
It appears that there wasn't an obituary in the LA Times:
http://www.scgsgenealogy.com/obit-search_soundex.html

Perhaps a newspaper article might yet be found.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 June 15 12:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking, Lisa.  The California death index has both deaths recorded on 4 July 1991 in Santa Barbara County.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 June 15 17:50 BST (UK) »
Nothing helpful, unfortunately.

It appears that the Santa Barbara News-Press ran an article about unsolved killings, which appears to be identical to the list of names that is from your link.  I cannot see the entire article, but it is probably just the list.   :-\
http://www.newspress.com/Top/Search/results.jsp

I don't know if anyone at the Santa Barbara Library Reference Desk could be of help (budget restraints may prevent them from helping):
http://www.santabarbaraca.gov/gov/depts/lib/locations/contact.asp
Perhaps they may be able to find an article in one of their newspapers?  If you are not living in the states, it wouldn't hurt to mention that - they may try a little harder to be of assistance since you can't get there in person.   ;)  I've found that library staff is generally very helpful and they try to find answers for people.

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 June 15 18:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks again, Lisa.  I'll give the library a try.  Strange that a violent death [very possibly two] got so little newspaper coverage.  I figured maybe the victim(s) wasn't immediately identified but I can't find anything for an unidentified shooting victim, either.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 June 15 18:42 BST (UK) »
You're welcome; I wish I could have been more help.

While researching, I was surprised to read that there were a number of shootings in 1991.  Perhaps it wasn't so out of the ordinary and thus didn't receive a lot of coverage?

The news media currently reports deaths without knowing names of the victims, or not being able to immediately release the names.  Perhaps the original story was written without their names and nothing further was written?

I tried a search on one of the pay sites for a connection between people who died on July 4, 1991 in Santa Barbara County, but after a brief look, didn't see any names or places of birth in common.

In 1991, according to one of the pay sites, a Rafael E Urdaneta was apparently living (or just had a P.O. Box!) in a town about 200 miles south of Santa Barbara.  If you were not aware of that, I can send the name of the town by pm (I don't like to disclose information about "recent" things, for privacy reasons).   ;)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 June 15 18:58 BST (UK) »
I sent a pm that had a 1993 address.   ???  It's possibly a mistake, or the address of a relative?

Offline M Urdaneta

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 August 20 20:26 BST (UK) »
You will find articles in the San Diego newspaper and La Jolla light.  Why are you looking for information on them?  Sandra was murdered by her husband and he committed suicide.