Author Topic: Northumberland and Durham FHS Look Up, please  (Read 17382 times)

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Northumberland and Durham FHS Look Up, please
« on: Sunday 07 June 15 00:22 BST (UK) »
If any kind soul has access to the Research Centre for Northumberland and Durham FHS, I have some requests for look ups, please:

George Wanless who was buried 29 August 1809 in the parish of Lesbury.  Aged 10. I think this is either 10 days or 10 months? Residence is given as Alemouth (I think this must be Alnmouth). He is the son of Thomas Wanless. I am interested in the year of birth as my direct Wanless relative consistently gives her birth year as 1808, even though her place of birth as Ann Pringle varies in three different census.

I am interested in Ann Wanless who married John Pringle 14 May 1830 at St Mary, Belford. Wondering if there is anymore information re witnesses etc?

Both transcripts found on Find My Past UK. This is the only place I have found this marriage.

I am speculating on kinship with the Winlass/Wandless/Wanless clan of Lesbury and Howich.  Some of whom later lived in Warkworth and Amble.

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Northumberland and Durham FHS Look Up, please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 June 15 07:27 BST (UK) »
In case it helps, the DNPRS transcript of the Lesbury parish registers to 1812 gives George Wanless’ age at death as 10 months. He died 27 August 1809, so he would have been born in 1808.

The NDFHS won't have films of the original registers, if your aim is to double check the age of death for George. If no-one is able to do a look up for you at Woodhorn, you can order films of Lesbury parish registers via www.familysearch.org (see the online film catalogue) to view at your nearest LDS family history centres. There is almost certainly one of these in the nearest large urban centres (again, check the list of locations on family search).

Not sure if you already have the following but there is a marriage in Lesbury parish, 26 April 1803, for a Thomas Wanless & Isabella Ferguson, both of this parish, witnesses John Dixon & Joseph Moore.

The only baptism that I can see for this couple is that for Isabella, born 8 July 1803, baptised 10 October 1803, 3rd daughter of Thomas Wanless, Shepherd, Lesbury by his wife Isabella daughter of Wm Ferguson, Little Houghton.

Something possibly a little belated about that marriage, unless Thomas was married previously & Isabella is his 3rd daughter but perhaps the first child of Thomas' marriage to Isabella Ferguson.

Have you checked surviving records of nearby non-conformist congregations for the baptisms of George & Ann Wanless/Wanlass & variants? & Scotlandspeople?

Good luck.

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 June 15 09:49 BST (UK) »

Not sure if you already have the following but there is a marriage in Lesbury parish, 26 April 1803, for a Thomas Wanless & Isabella Ferguson, both of this parish, witnesses John Dixon & Joseph Moore.

The only baptism that I can see for this couple is that for Isabella, born 8 July 1803, baptised 10 October 1803, 3rd daughter of Thomas Wanless, Shepherd, Lesbury by his wife Isabella daughter of Wm Ferguson, Little Houghton.

Something possibly a little belated about that marriage, unless Thomas was married previously & Isabella is his 3rd daughter but perhaps the first child of Thomas' marriage to Isabella Ferguson.

The children of Thomas Wanless and Jane (no marriage found) are baptised at Pottergate Chapel, Alnwick under the surname WINLASS.  Abode is Howick-Heugh.  Father's occupation: Herd.
The children are baptised: Thomas, William, Margaret, Jane (must have died before 1794), and Jane. Jane Snr died 1801 in Heugh Hill. So Isabella appears to be the fourth daughter of Thomas, but third living daughter at the time of her baptism.

Thomas Wanless and Isabella Ferguson only child found to be baptised is Isabella, also have George and John. John not born until about 1821. Mother appears on 1851 Census with him.
My Ann Pringle (nee Wanless) on same 1841 Census image as him as John WANDLASS. Not in same household, however. Her places of birth seem at odds with the rest of the family as given as Wooler, Fenton (chapelry in Wooler, I believe), and Stamford.

Margaret WINLASS had a daughter Jane, to Thomas Reed, baptised 20 Aug 1815 at Holy Trinity Embleton. Abode Stamford.

Thank you SelDen for your advice.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 June 15 23:32 BST (UK) »
I am at Woodhorn most Wednesdays and happy to do the odd look up though I'm a bit lost as to which records you are after.

Who are you searching for and approx where and when do you expect them to be lurking  :)

Christine

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 June 15 00:18 BST (UK) »

I am interested in Ann Wanless who married John Pringle 14 May 1830 at St Mary, Belford. Wondering if there is anymore information re witnesses etc?

Both transcripts found on Find My Past UK. This is the only place I have found this marriage.

I am speculating on kinship with the Winlass/Wandless/Wanless clan of Lesbury and Howich.  Some of whom later lived in Warkworth and Amble.

Oh, thank you.  That is kind to offer.  Sorry - I probably lost everyone with my bumbling explanation! It is complicated.

It is a surname that seems to be very varied in spelling, but basically these  Winlass/Wandlass/Wandless/Wanless people seem to be related. I am just not a hundred per cent that my Ann Wanless is, despite also living in Amble (parish of Warkworth) very nearby John. His half-brother Thomas died at Warkworth. Thomas Snr and Isabella Snr also died in Amble.

I am interested to know if any further information that would help on the marriage record. The transcription only gives the groom's parish as Bamburgh. Maybe that is all I will get.

No baptism found for Ann Wanless, or variant spellings I've tried.

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 June 15 00:44 BST (UK) »
SelDen also suggested non-conformist records. I suppose being near Scotland Ann's baptism (if exists) could be non-conformist.  This  one transcription of the marriage is also the only place I have seen her recorded as Ann Wanless, thereafter by her married name of Pringle.

Seems to be the right marriage as, per Groom's parish:

John Pringle birthplace:
1851 England Census: Bamburgh
1861:Fowberry
1871:Bamburgh
1881: Wooler?

Ann Pringle birthplace:
1851: Stamford
1861: Fenton
1871: Wooler

The Wooler bit is certainly baffling.

John and Ann had what appears to be 14 children, including three sets of twins. No little Isabella's. I am considering that Margaret Winlass baptised 1790 could be Ann's mother. Pure speculation.

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 June 15 03:27 BST (UK) »
Have just found at:
http://www.wanlessweb.org/blog/research/england/marriages-3/marriages-2/#Belford

Please look under Belford.

Some bits illegible.  Would still appreciate your thoughts in deciphering C-Side, if game?! Many thanks.

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 June 15 08:59 BST (UK) »
Just in case it helps, Stamford is a township in the parish of Embleton. There are also farms called Stamford and Stamford Houses in that township by the time of the Northumberland Farm Index (mid nineteenth century).

Stamford is not far from the small parishes of Rock, Rennington and Howick. A quick glance at the one-name study suggests that someone has been through most of the C of E parishes - great resource to come across.

See www.genuki.org.uk and also the Northumberland communities website for links and pics of Embleton.

Fenton is in Wooler parish (as noted in one of your earlier posts though I don't think it had a chapel) so Ann says she was born in Wooler parish in two census returns - or possibly her husband does. Ann may not necessarily have been baptised in the parish in which she was born.  I have checked a transcript of Wooler West Presbyterian and cannot see any Wanless and variant entries. But lots of other non-con congregations in the area and many baptisms were apparently not necessarily recorded and in other cases the records for some may have been lost. That is no reason to give up looking, as chances are you will find her somewhere, but just keep it in the back of your mind that available records do not cover 100% of the population.

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 June 15 09:27 BST (UK) »
This  one transcription of the marriage is also the only place I have seen her recorded as Ann Wanless, thereafter by her married name of Pringles

The baptism entry for two of her sons refers to her as Ann Wandlass (the register follows the Scottish practice of referring to married women by their original names). That is, Thomas and John were baptised 4 Nov 1833 in the Belford United Presbyterian Church (previously United Secession). Father John Pringle, Hind and mother Ann Wandlass, abode Buckton, Kyloe parish.

Btw, does the census indicate the boys are twins?  Children baptised on the same day are not necessarily twins - parents sometimes did them in batches.

Two other children with Wandless mothers were baptised in this church in 1832 - one of these couples also living in Buckton (Robert Donaldson & Elaner Wandlass) which iseems like a big coincidence given its size. If you have access to FindMyPast or Ancestry or the Genealogist you will be able to access these.