Author Topic: Northumberland and Durham FHS Look Up, please  (Read 17337 times)

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Northumberland and Durham FHS Look Up, please
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 11 June 15 20:41 BST (UK) »
I'm pleased you thought Ann and Agnes interchangeable - I did too but was wary in case I was making the facts fit!

Her parents were Thomas and Margaret but I didn't note the exact date and I was looking at a transcription.  I will look again next Wednesday, hopefully at a microfilm of the original, there could be additional information there.

Christine

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 12 June 15 08:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you Christine.  I have done some of this research a while ago, so didn't really remember the parents on the death index, but I did remember the passenger list mentioning mother "Agnes". Just discovered I actually have Robert Pringle's death certificate! States born Amble, Northumberland and parents are recorded as John Pringle, Labourer, and Agnes Wandless and the informant is his brother Adam Pringle.

I am always trying to discover any Scottish Ancestry on Mum's side - if this Wanless family is right, then we are certainly near the borders. I think John Pringle's mum was the Mary Pringle aged 60 in Amble (born Scotland) on the 1841 Census. Appear on next page or image to John and Ann Pringle  on the Census. Her late husband was James Pringle, per death certificate and the informant is Ann Pringle of Victory Street. She uses her mark. Only  trouble is the death certificate ages her by twenty-ish years!!! Mary Pringle died 6 April 1849 at Victory Street, Amble, aged 88. Buried at St Lawrence, Warkworth.

Anyway, long-winded story, this is how I came up with the Scottish tradition naming theory.

I did see the Spittal non-conformist records after SelDen mentioned them.  Thank you both :)

Offline jora

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 12 June 15 11:25 BST (UK) »
From Presbyterian registers in the area this is a list of the baptisms of the children of Thomas & Margaret Wanless, which confirms Agnes was born in Wooler parish.

Spittal register -
William born at Ancroft 14 March 1793
Eleanor born at Ancroft 14 September 1794

Wooler Cheviot Street
George born Chatton parish, baptised 6 July 1796. Entered as Wandles
Thomas born Chatton parish 7 April 1798. Entered as Waddelle, (a really bad section of the register to read).

Lowick register
Thomas born in Kyloe parish 30 April 1804
Eleanor born in Kyloe parish 16 April 1806
Agnes born in Wooler parish 21 February 1808

There may have been other baptisms in Lowick between 1798 and 1804, but the register only begins at 1804, earlier records are lost.

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 12 June 15 13:31 BST (UK) »
Jora that is fantastic.  I know the Christian names are common, but they are certainly repeated in the family. Even though we haven't checked deaths and marriages for Agnes, I'd be surprised now as this is seeming to all fit.
Many thanks for posting  :-*

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 13 June 15 00:31 BST (UK) »
 :-* for C-Side and :-* Sel Den.  Thanks for all your input.  Has been tremendous :)

Also wondering about a 1804 baptism for a John Pringle born December 8th and baptised 11th.  4th son of James and Mary, Chillingham New Town. Baptised at North Sunderland, Bamburgh, Secession Chapel of Burghers.

There are a George and Jannet Pringle baptising children on the same page, of Dorrington - might be unrelated, due to the common surname.

I assume the James Pringle who witnessed the Pringle/Wanless marriage was John's brother. Mary Pringle aged 60 and James Pringle aged 30 together on 1841 England Census.  Parish Warkworth, Registration district Alnwick, but actually Amble when you click on the image.

Any further thoughts on either Wanless or Pringle much appreciated and I apologise if this has become too convoluted.

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 14 June 15 09:20 BST (UK) »
Sorry, am not too well at moment, will have a look in a few days time unless someone else is able to help.

You may recall I suggested having a look at the Northumberland communities website. Here is an example of what you can find:

http://communities.northumberland.gov.uk/007529FS.htm

And for Ancroft:
http://communities.northumberland.gov.uk/008042FS.htm

Although your families seem to have been non cons you can still find burials and maybe marriages in the images of the Bishop's Transcripts for the C of E parishes. - have you had a look at these on www.familysearch.org?  They are near the top of the oust of unindexed records for England.

Good luck.

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 14 June 15 13:48 BST (UK) »
SelDen I am sorry to hear you are not well.  I have greatly appreciated your input and will have a look at those links more when I have some days off work.  I hate not replying and have been working a lot. I did get up very early today and looked at the potential even further back Allen and Wanless clan.

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 04:36 BST (UK) »
From Presbyterian registers in the area this is a list of the baptisms of the children of Thomas & Margaret Wanless, which confirms Agnes was born in Wooler parish.

Spittal register -
William born at Ancroft 14 March 1793
Eleanor born at Ancroft 14 September 1794

Wooler Cheviot Street
George born Chatton parish, baptised 6 July 1796. Entered as Wandles
Thomas born Chatton parish 7 April 1798. Entered as Waddelle, (a really bad section of the register to read).

Lowick register
Thomas born in Kyloe parish 30 April 1804
Eleanor born in Kyloe parish 16 April 1806
Agnes born in Wooler parish 21 February 1808

There may have been other baptisms in Lowick between 1798 and 1804, but the register only begins at 1804, earlier records are lost.

Re Thomas Wandless, probably born Beal, per Census information.  There is one 1804 who appears on the England Census 1841 through to 1891. Occupation is Blacksmith  (per Census and children's baptisms) and later Engine Fitter. Married at St Paul, Jarrow, South Shields, Durham 8 Mar 1829 to Jane Harrison.  Both OTP. Lived in Durham, then Yorkshire, and died in 1891 in Worcestershire.

Re Eleanor Wanless 1806 -1849, who married Robert Donaldson 1827: children appear to be Margaret 1828 – 1846, Thomas 1829 – 1849, Eleanor 1832 - ?, Elizabeth 1837 - ?, Isabella 1842 - ?  Possibly also an Ann 1844-1850. Looks like Robert died in the Union Workhouse in 1855 - so all very sad for this family as Margaret SNR also died in 1848. All burials give abode as Green Bat(t), Alnwick.

Re John Pringle 1804? - 1882 and birthplace, I have seen the Northumberland Communities information. The Chatton information there was helpful re informing me there is a Fowberry Tower nearby to there and Wooler. Interesting information all round in determining proximity to other places.

All of my g-g-g uncles have now been found to have listed their parents as John and Agnes on the passenger arrivals lists to NSW. They all arrived separately.

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 20 June 15 09:20 BST (UK) »
Did you see there was a James Pringle listed as living in Chillingham in the 1798 Return of Men and carts on the NOrthumberland communities website? The same list has a William and Robert Pringle in Chillingham Barns. This may be of interest given the 1804 baptism you found for a John Pringle.

There do not seem to be baptisms for other children of James and Mary Pringle in the United Secession congregation in North Sunderland. Perhaps you need to look at the Wooler Cheviot St congregation again? I checked Wooler West chapel for this Pringle family but no luck. There were other Pringle families.

Www.genuki.org.uk also has good links and other info which helps explain which places are in which C of E parishes etc.