Author Topic: Northumberland and Durham FHS Look Up, please  (Read 17329 times)

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Northumberland and Durham FHS Look Up, please
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 20 June 15 20:26 BST (UK) »
www.freereg.org.uk has some interesting burials in Chiilingham:
James Pringle, abode Wooler, buried 28 Jan 1814 aged 33

Also poss connected?
John Pringle buried 7 Nov 1813 aged 92, abode Wooler

I have often come across instances of families who were normally non-conformist (of the Protestant kind) baptising illegitimate children in a nearby Church of England parish rather than their usual church.

It does seem that this particular Pringle family has (or retained?) an association with Chillingham even though living in Wooler. As you can see from this map, http://www.genuki.bpears.org.uk/NBL/nblmap.html

Chillingham is not strictly speaking contiguous with Wooler, but there is only a v small part of Chatton parish separating them.

There is also this Chillingham baptism:

Ann daughter of Ann Pringle, Spinster, abode Chillingham Barns, baptised 28 Feb 1830.

I will leave you to have a look at the rest on freereg - they are mainly later. The Chillingham data on freereg starts at 1812 & I could not see Chillingham amongst the BTs on familysearch, unless they are one of the ones that have been oddly indexed. Genus does refer to BTs being extant for Chillingham.

However, I do have a transcript of burials for Chillingham from 1692 to 1812 which has these burials:

William Pringel [sic] of Barns buried 26 April 1728
Isaac Pringle son of Jane buried 25 Dec 1729
Elizabeth Pringle daughter of John buried 7 August 1777
Isabel Pringle wife of George of Chillingham Park buried 8 Dec 1782
Isabel Pringle of Chillingham aged 67 buried 25 April 1797
Mary Pringle wife of John of Wooler died 19 May aged 62, buried 21 May 1809

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 20 June 15 20:35 BST (UK) »
You might want to have a look at the database of pre 1858 wills & admin bonds in case any of these can help by eliminating people from your consideration, or just in case someone had enough property to leave a will - some have very helpful family references:
http://familyrecords.dur.ac.uk/nei/data/neisearch.php

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 21 June 15 01:13 BST (UK) »

John Pringle birthplace:
1851 England Census: Bamburgh
1861:Fowberry
1871:Bamburgh
1881: Wooler?

Ann Pringle birthplace:
1851: Stamford
1861: Fenton
1871: Wooler

The Wooler bit is certainly baffling.

Thank you for all information. I have had a quick look at Free Reg.  Hadn't looked for Pringle's yet at Chillingham or Wooler. So confusing with the conflicting birthplaces given on Census!

I have never been able to find what seems like the right marriage for James Pringle and Mary  ??? who I suppose to be the parents of my John Pringle. Could also have married in Scotland? I found a will for what seemed to be the James Pringle and Mary Orange marriage 1800 at Belford and James  Pringle and Mary Dudgeon marriage 10 Aug 1792, Haddington, East Lothian, Scotland  appeared to have stayed in Scotland.

I have looked at North East Inheritance database before a few times at Pringle's, but will look again.

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 21 June 15 01:27 BST (UK) »
Also can't work out what happened to the James Pringle, Quarryman, aged 30 on the 1841 England Census at Warkworth (Amble).  Living with Mary Pringle aged 60, who later seems to die 20 years older!  Mentioned in previous reply.

Sorry this is hastily written. Must get ready for work!!!

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 01:31 BST (UK) »
I would like to report successful cousin matching through Ancestry DNA. Re Reply#29, I have followed through George Wanless  baptised 1796 Chatton (my 5th great uncle) to Canada and then descendants mainly in Michigan, USA. I got my DNA results last weekend and saw a Distant Cousin (estimated 6th to 8th Cousin) who had the same George Wanless.

Birthplace was helped by his Army Record on Find My Past UK.

Thank you once again for all the marvellous help from everyone on this topic. Bouquets to you :)

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 26 July 18 02:13 BST (UK) »
Gosh I was so interested in your reply SelDen that I  excitedly knocked the power cable out and the screen went black!

You are perfectly right about her name recorded as Ann Wandlass there on John and Thomas' baptisms, I had completely forgotten her maiden name  was on those baptisms. Thank you for reminding me. The boys both appear aged 7 on the 1841 Census and given same baptismal date - I assume the first set of twins. Could be wrong.

The first son was baptised James Pringle in 1832 at Holy Trinity, Embleton. Abode: Newton Fa: Hind. He was buried at St Lawrence, Warkworth in 1839.

Then John and Thomas as found in 1833. * Thomas only death not found.

George born 13 Jan 1836 in either Stamford, Embleton or Amble. *George only baptism not found. Died at Sea.

William 1838 is the first child baptised at St Lawrence, Warkworth and all following children baptised there. (He is my great-great-great grandfather). His daughter Eleanor Ann came to Queensland, and then Newcastle, NSW.

Margaret and Mary 1840.  Recorded as twins on baptism. Same birth registration period. Both died in childhood.

James 1842.

Robert 1844.  Died in infancy.

Robert 1845. Migrated to Newcastle, NSW.

Adam and Margaret Ann baptised same day in 1847 and same birth registration period.  Adam migrated to Newcastle, NSW and Margaret Ann to Virginia, USA.

Luke born 1850 and died 1951 at 101 years of age. Migrated to NSW and then was a pioneer of Murgon, Queensland.

Eleanor 1852.

I have access to all of those genealogy sites SelDen.  Most interesting in regards to Jane Donaldson being a witness to John Pringle and Ann Wanless marriage. The Wanless Web one name study is superb.

DNA matches to family of James Pringle 1842 indicate he emigrated to Ohio, USA.